The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my (full marine) Green Spotted Puffer in a 10 gallon. He's happy there and grows insanely slow. I was planning on moving him to my 30 but I decided to leave him be until He grew some. Anyway...

I need a "sand cleaner" which I can pair with him. Preferably something that won't out-grow the 10gal or get eaten. It's common knowledge that puffers are exceptionally messy eaters and he doesn't like a ton of flow so keeping the sand bed clean is a bit of a nuisance.. He does not enjoy it at all when I have to stir it up to get it to be picked up in the filter.

There are blue leg hermits in the tank but they stick completely to the rocks. Bristle worms seem to bloom and die off because they spawn more for more food and then die off after it's gone but this seems to have stop since I removed the rest of the tank inhabitants besides the puffer and hermits. Snails don't seem to last because the puffer eats any algae before it grows.

My puffer eats ghost shrimp immediately. And small snails also. He never bothered my Bubble Tip Anemone when it was in his tank, nor the 1" clown that was paired with it.

My puffer makes a bed in the corner to sleep.. So anything that might see a sleeping fish's fin as a snack is out of the question..

ALL of that being said.. is there anything compatible which will eat the excess food or atleast stir the sandbed enough to keep it from sitting and rotting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not really touching the subject of good sand cleaners but you really should upgrade your tank. Green Spotted Puffers require 30g minimum per puffer as they get upwards of 6+ inches long. I'd do it now rather than later so you don't stunt him any. Good that's he's in full marine though =D

Mine is growing steadily. Went from a 10g, to a 20 high and now to a 30g.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm Aware.. I have a 30 and a 55. And will be setting up a 125+. However, planning to move sooner that later so I didn't figure I'd ad the stress of changing tanks when I doubt it'll be for long enough to matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts