The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used tank, and the guy had about 2 inches of black hawaiian sand in a 180 gallon tank.. It feels like a few hundred pounds of sand..

Everyone says don't use his sand, but he says absolutely use it since the tank was mature...

I was thinking of going virtually bare bottom and putting like 1/4 inch of the sand in should I get white sand new instead ??? or use his ?

I know most of you will say don't use his but I dont understand why ????
Isn't using his "live" sand like buying live sand only his is more alive than a bag sitting at the lfs for a month ????

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Do not listen to that Guy.... Unless he deicated his enitre life to keeping the sand bed clean,,,,,, its boutnd to be loaded with pooey detridus, poo, and discolored water. DO NOT USE HIS SAND

Youre tank is going to have to go through at least a Mini cycle again due to the die off on the Live rock you had out of water for quite some time. So it doesnt matter about the bacteria los from the sand. REmember you are going to have to wait a few weeks before you can add any fish or coral.... Becuase you will more than likley have excessive ammonia levels from the live rock die off. During this time have youre skimmer turned on strong.

IMO, I would go bare bottomed. Ive heard alot off good things about Bare bottom systems and I think you sould Google and reasearch Bare bottomed systems and go for it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok The problem with black sand is it doesn't look as nice as the white sand IMO, but then again I have seen established tanks with dirty white sand and that looks gross..(maybe black hides it better)

The white sand beds around 1 inch or so that are like bleach white color look amazing but I need to learn more about bare bottom also?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
black doesnt hide it better, i have a black sand tank, i think im the only one. its just different looking, thats all, no different any other way, both get dirty if you dont clean them, both look dirty too. the key is to have enough flow to move the detrius, and cleaning it when you do a water change, think of what fish you want to keep, some need a sand bed, and so do some inverts, so dont go head fast into bare bottom yet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok as far as flow goes:
I have a 3,000 GPH pump on my returns there are two of them in the two corner over flow boxes .
Is that enough flow for a 180 gallon tank ??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good because I dont want to put powerheads in and distract the eye....

also I have two overflow boxes with one and quater inch drains will that keep up ?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
.. .... make sure each overflow is handeling at least 1500 GPH

Iff it was opporating prperly with the guy you got it from... I dont see why7 it would bring problems for you

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do I make sure of that ?
The guy I bought it from was using this system and it was working ?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I believe you are going to have to dial your return pump back. I have 2 Mag 12s for return pumps in my 180 (with about 1000 gph of head each), and I have to dial both of them back. It stinks.

I have never understood why they make the overflow holes on tanks so small.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep stirring up a sand bed is a disaster waiting to happen. The difference of live sand in bag is that there aren't any toxins built up and even that still gets rinsed. Once the tank cycles you really shouldn't have alot of dirty sand if your syphoning it.

·
11,345 Posts
Im not sure i agree with 3000 being too extreme of flow in a 180, but i do agree with the fact that the bulkhead situation sucks. A overflow"(s) need to be big enough to darn near handle around 150% or more of how much your return pump can give them. Its much safer that way in case somehow one of them clogs up a bit its business as usual.

Its a glass tank i assume?????

As far as the sand bed DO not use it his OR buy live sand. If you ever have the opportunity to start fresh with a sandbed take it every time. It will become live on its own and if you wanted to speed up the process pour a little live on top.

Not sure why you want to do 1/4"???? There is absolutely no value in that unless its for looks alone. either go 3 1/2" + or go barebottom.

BUT, if you wanted just a layering of sand for looks, you could do that just fine, but yoou would want to vacuum the entire thing up and rinse it every week or two which would be a PITA, but i know some people who do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sandbeds over time collect alot of nasty stuff in the lower layers. h2s being one of them phosphates ,nitrates the others. if the sand bed is done properly at least 3" then it can and will provide years of stability. one of the problems though is that you can only put a certain bioload on it which will limit your livestock. over years the sand bed if overloaded will become saturated with nasties and eventually leach back in to your system. the problem with using someone elses sand is that it is now stirred up and saturated. usually when people clean them they will only stir up the top 1" or so to remove some of the heavy loads (detritus left over food etc) and then let the live sand in the bottom layers break down whats left. the only problem is it is a closed system so when extra stuff hits the bottom of the bed it has no where to go. this is where some people run plenums. I myself run a barebottom. I like the idea of having alot of flow to keep detritus up off of the bottom and in the water column for my skimmer to remove and also feed corals. you can also direct the flow so any heavy accumilation of stuff can be siphoned out from the front of the tank before it breaks down.
the 3000 gph pump can be y'd off with lockline to reduce some flow and to also give you flow in different directions without overloading your drain pipes. it will also then be available to t off to any subsystems (fuge or growout) tanks later on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts