The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with red slime a while back and now it has all mostly turned a yellowish color. It has formed a skin over the sand bed. I try to get it out when I do a water change but the skin is hard to get to come out since it comes up in large pieces. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this out?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just pull it out by hand, you will pull some sand out but it is ok.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 4---5 inches of sand in the tank. It is closer to 4 inches though.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Sounds kind of stupid but I use a small net and a turkey baster on my DSB to get off ugly algae. Puff very lightly and when the pieces drift upwards, grab it with the net! It takes a while but it's worth it.

HHC

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
it may be dino... can you describe it in any more detail. what is the consistency of it and do you see slime coming off. do your snails eat it or avoid it like the plague?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
one way I have found to remove slime from tanks I go out and work on is to tank a 1/2 hose like the siphon hose and pull the large end off and then siphon with the smaller diameter hose, You can get a better aim and have more control on what you want to take out. just use you thumb to slow the flow down. also the best way to clean the rocks. but like Wiskey said a picture please

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't get a picture now. I pulled it all out or at least all of it I could see. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts