The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ive done some thinking and thought a shallow sand bed would do better in the long run. cheaper, wont worry about nitrates being released if theres a sand storm, and it kinda looks better. I think I will have a shallow sand bed in my refugium with a bunch of chaeto and a 65/70w light bulb that will grow it. I have a terrarium reflector light bulb holder thing from reptiles. its like 8.5". So should i do that? and someone might give me 30lbs of free lr. Should I dry it out to get rid of any hitchhikers/ bad stuff. He has had an established tank for about 7 years. i have a 30 gal anyways. so about 2-3 bags of natures ocean bio-active sand, marine white #1 or #0 idk which is right. Or should i buy dry sand? i would like a lot of people giving me replies so i can get a good idea of what i should do. SPREAD THE WORD!

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
+1 dont dry the rock out. If it came from an established 7 year old tank, it has all the bacteria in it you need to seed sand without buying "live" sand. Also most hitchikers in the rock that are provided to us consumers are a pleasure and benifit to have.

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
Yup, I have gotten all my sand/CC from PetCo, I can't see spending $20 when I can get the exact same bag/brad for $18...

But I do use that extra $2 I saved and spend that at the LFS...
LOL only 2 dollars eh? I still somehow think youll come upside down at the LFS. Its hard to control when there are so many goodies you "got to have" . 2 dollars saved for LFS to spend an extra 48 dollars on top of hahaha :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.