The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know why but my tank keeps turning green and then the water gets really dark and cloudy to the point where i cant see anything in there? You guys know whats causing this? algae? Heater? Filter?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
What are you using for your top off water and using to mix your salt with? What you are getting is an algae bloom caused by excessive nutrients.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
What kind of water are you using.. tap, RODI, Distilled?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sounds like a huge nutrient overload.

If it were me I'd tear it down and start over. From what you describe, it would take a HUGE effort to clean up. Sometimes it is best to cut our losses and move foward. We all make mistakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im guessing that im using tap water since i use the water in the bath tub to fill the water up. LOL!! and sometimes the sink. What water am i suppose to be using? Oh and i am using the one that came with my 29 gallon tank. I think its whisper i believe.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
If it's a reef you don't need the filter,and yes that's probally why yyour tank is green,you need to use RO/DI or distilled water for the salt water and topoff.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yep.. using tap water is likely your culprit. My suggestion, a large waterchange using Distilled water from walmart. Make sure it is distilled and not spring water. If you plan on continuing in the hobby for a while, you might want to invest in your own RODI unit (about $160 from several vendors) or continue to use Distilled water, but definitely no tap water.

You will want to do water changes every couple of days till you clear the water up. And then continue with weekly 25% waterchanges.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
So every saltwater tank is used by distilled water?or RO/DI And what do you mean i dont need the filter?Your rock is your filter and having a filter can cause nitrates. And whats the RO/DI unit?it is a filter system that cleans your water so you don't add any bad stuff to your system.[/quote]

·
Registered
515 Posts
An RO/DI is a filter that you run the tap water through and it purifies it. Live rock should do most of you filtration in a salt water tank, do you have any, and if yes how much? If you don't you will want to get some. But make sure its cured, or cure it yourself before adding it to your tank. What size tank is it, btw?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a 29 gallon tank and yes i have some live rocks with 10 snails and one orange spotted goby for now. I have about 15 to 20 pounds of live rock. So i put in the tap water through the RO/DI bottles before putting it into my tank>?

·
Registered
763 Posts
tap water in RO/DI comes out

It is a 29 gallon tank and yes i have some live rocks with 10 snails and one orange spotted goby for now. I have about 15 to 20 pounds of live rock. So i put in the tap water through the RO/DI bottles before putting it into my tank>?
correct...
tap water enters the ro/di "unit" and is then stripped of most impurities and the result is reef ready water...

·
Registered
763 Posts
yes unless you want the odds for annoying algae outbreaks to be nearly guaranteed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So since i have my tank already with tap water already. Should i take out all the water and start over or should i change 50% of it? Sorry for asking so much guys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts