The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i currently have a 29 gallon sw tank that i will be updating to a 75.

i currently only have a Lawnmower Blenny.

for the 75 i will have 55 pounds of live rock and some zoas. not to much coral. Also will have a 29 gallon sump

not all of these fish i want to add, just opinions on them and how they get along with each other a * means a must have in the tank. Thank You!

--

Lawnmower Blenny*
2 Ocellaris Clownfish*
Pajama cardinalfish
one spot foxface
toby puffer
flasher wrasse
flame hawkfish
sunset anthias
blue green chromis 1
clalk bass
yellow candy hogfish
kole eye yellow tang.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
The Pajama Cardinals will work, be warned they are not as colorful in the adult form.
One Spot Foxface a good Choice well behaved, great personality.
Hogfish could be a problem. listed as with caution for most of fish on list.
Chalk Bass and puffer can be problems together.

What kind of puffer and what kind of Flasher Wrasse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already done that and liveaquaria doesn't help me see if the fish will be well together. thank you though. I'll go to another page and ask

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Chi will probably be on later, they are much more knowledgeable on some of the compatibility issues.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts

ChiWing a forum moderator. Very knowledgeable on compatibility. Who gets along with who, what hangs out where in the water column. Where different species spend their time is also important as it effects whether fish are stressed due to having to many species competing for the same space.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT, Crazyfishlady! And congrats on the upgrade :)

Are you going for a reef tank? Toby puffers have been known to nibble on coral so you might want to reconsider him if you want a reef. They also like to eat snails, shrimp and crabs so if you want a clean up crew that'll be tough.

If you like shrimp then you'll want to cut the flame hawk and candy hog out - though if you don't care about shrimp both are awesome fish, I had both in my 100g and loved them. Both can have a slight attitude though so putting them with peaceful or shy fish can be an issue. The hawk perches on rocks, much like a blenny so the two might take issue with each other.

Anthias (and possibly the wrasse) do best with multiple feedings throughout the day, so if you're not up for that or going for a super clean SPS type tank then that might not be the fish for you. They also seem to do best in groups, which I would recommend a large tank for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so chose between the anthias or wrasse. which one is better in your opinion? I'll say no to the toby puffer cause i do have two small hermits that i love.

i don't really want any shrimp.

I will cross off the hawk becuase i don't want him to hurt the blenny, he is my little love.

will all the other fish get along with that edit?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I think you'd have an easier time with the wrasse. If it were me, I'd do -

2 O.Clowns
blenny
Flasher wrasse
Chalk bass
Foxface

Then, being that all but one of those is a water column swimming fish, narrow down your other choices of the tang, cardinal, chromis and hogfish. If you chose the tang, I would end it there. Cardinals are kind of passive, so I think the hogfish might bully them so you may want to choose between the hogfish or the cardinal. If you did the cardinal, I think I'd do a trio and drop the rest.

Since you don't have any bottom dwelling fish though you could add a goby. Something like a yellow watchman, yasha, hi-fin or Randall's would be a nice addition you could pair with a pistol shrimp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my blenny stays at the bottom so no more bottom dwelling.

I'll get rid of the hogfish and chromis.

if i get rid of those two could i still do the cardinal and the tang?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
That looks like an okay stocking to me. Fish can have different personalities so it's always a little bit of a toss up, but I think the odds are good that bunch would be okay. Just be sure to stock from last aggressive/most shy to more aggressive/bold. I'd add the tang last.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
And don't forget to stock one or 2 at a time and wait 2-3 weeks between additions so the bio-filter can adjust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so,

3 pajama cardinals

2 O. clownfish

1 Flasher wrasse

1 Kole yellow Eye tang

1 Chalk Bass

1 Foxface.

in what order do you reccomend?

Thank you So much, look out for some photos of the tank next month

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I would start with either the two clowns (because they're the most hardy) or the chalk bass. I wouldn't add the three PJs first - it's better to start with one fish at a time in a new tank, two (the clowns) if you're careful, I wouldn't recommend three right off the bat - and I think it'd be best to add those three at the same time. I'd do O.Clowns, Chalk bass, wrasse (make sure you have some sort of top, those guys like to jump), then the pjs, foxface, tang. As Jerry said, make sure to wait a couple weeks between each addition and monitor your water parameters during that time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts