The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was in a rush to mix up some saltwater for a water change and I ended up dumping a bunch of salt into the water all at once which apparently (from what I have :read: about the subject on this forum and some others) caused the calcium in the water to precipitate and cover the sides of garbage can and pump with a thin white layer. I tried to mix the bucket up multiple times to see if the white powder would recombine with the water but it always ended up just collecting at the bottom of the garbage can.
Also, I feel like I should mention that this water is a combination of an old package of salt and a new one (both Instant Ocean Boxes).

The salinity, temperature and PH are all normal, so is the water still safe to use?

· Premium Member
12,360 Posts
Have you tried putting a power head in the bucket and let it do the work for you?

I sometimes pour too quickly, but over a few hourees all the solids dissolve.

If push comes to shove, go ahead and use it. Your calcium might be a little low, but unless you have a huge demand, you can bump it up next time you do a WC.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I have a powerhead in there to aerate the water but it seems like the powder collects wherever the powerhead isn't directly pointing :doh:. I might try putting in a stronger pump tonight to see if it will work, if not, ill just let the powder settle again and just use the water.

hmm, I wonder if I can collect whatever is left at the bottom and mix it with some fresh water and use that to dose my tank (if it combines).
I'll report back tonight.

· Registered
205 Posts
I have had that happen to me once. Never thought it was because I added the salt in to fast. I guess that is possible but I let is circulate for 3 days and I always set it only 24 hours before putting in the tank. I thought that because I let it sit for 72 hours the chemistry got all wonky on me or something???!!!??! IDK
I would toss it out if I were you..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.