The Reef Tank banner

Saltwater and septic systems

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Rossman 
#1 ·
All:

I'm considering re-starting in the reefkeeping hobby, but had a question I've not seen discussed. I want to have a 200 gallon or so aquarium, but I'm not sure what to do with the waste water with changes as I have a septic tank. Can the water be safely sent to the septic tank?

Thanks,

Mike

#6 ·
Saltwater tanks have little to no impact on septic systems and drain fields, in fact studies have shown the salt actualy helps with clay type soils. People have used water softeners with septic tanks for years and the backwash brine from a softener is many many times more concentrated than a reef tank.

#8 ·
My soil is pretty sandy, so it should leach away quickly. I was just uncertain what a sudden influx of "ocean water" would do to the bacteria in the septic tank.

If I sent the water down my driveway, at least some of it would end up in my neighbor's lawn. I think I'll try to avoid that :).

Thanks,

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.