The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I'm considering re-starting in the reefkeeping hobby, but had a question I've not seen discussed. I want to have a 200 gallon or so aquarium, but I'm not sure what to do with the waste water with changes as I have a septic tank. Can the water be safely sent to the septic tank?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Sharksational
614 Posts
YES. There is no problem with that. I am assuming you are using some sort of monthly septic tank treatment. If so, even better. If not, not a prob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't treat the system (the installer said I wouldn't need to with this one), and there is little pressure on this system.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Administrator
47,010 Posts
I never had an issue with small amount of SW in the septic, but if I was doing large volume changes I ran it out on the driveway, free weed control

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Saltwater tanks have little to no impact on septic systems and drain fields, in fact studies have shown the salt actualy helps with clay type soils. People have used water softeners with septic tanks for years and the backwash brine from a softener is many many times more concentrated than a reef tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My soil is pretty sandy, so it should leach away quickly. I was just uncertain what a sudden influx of "ocean water" would do to the bacteria in the septic tank.

If I sent the water down my driveway, at least some of it would end up in my neighbor's lawn. I think I'll try to avoid that :).

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Search for water softeners and septic tanks, there have been many studies and the yado no harm. Softener brine is much more concentrated than water change water and probably more frequent too.

·
Administrator
47,010 Posts
My soil is pretty sandy, so it should leach away quickly. I was just uncertain what a sudden influx of "ocean water" would do to the bacteria in the septic tank.

If I sent the water down my driveway, at least some of it would end up in my neighbor's lawn. I think I'll try to avoid that :).

Thanks,

Mike
Most septics are in the 1000g range so typical water change isn't going to impact it much.
As far as neighbors, I am a bit spoiled since they are a couple hundred yards away ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most septics are in the 1000g range so typical water change isn't going to impact it much.
As far as neighbors, I am a bit spoiled since they are a couple hundred yards away ;)
Mine are too, but the inlet from the street into their lawn is only about 40 feet down the street. I guess that it wouldn't hurt to try it once or twice. If I notice a problem, I'll send the water somewhere else.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts