The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got white spot in my tank a few weeks back so put the fish in the hospitaltank and did a complete change out of water in the tank but ran it at extremely low salt levels and high temp to kill anything that was in the water. Did that now for 3 weeks. Today I was put the fish back in but before I did I dropped the temp and made up about 5 litres of salt water with dlenouh salt to make up 40 litres. I put most of it in the water and let it mix up. The water was a little cloudy for about 10 minutes but it went away. A few hours later I tested the levee and realized I needed to increase the salt content a little more so put the remaining salt water mix from a few bourse before into the tank. That was about 4 hours ago and the cloudiness of the water has gotten pretty bad. It went quickly the first time but this time it looks slot worse and it's not going away. No ammonia in the water. Did a ph test and ph is at either 8.4 or 8.8. The test kit I have is pretty hard to tell at the higher end. I've put my 2 flame hawkfish in there and they seem to be very active and running along the front of the glass like they want out. Could mixing up a strong salt mix and leaving it in the plastic bucket of caused some problem or is this just coincidence?

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Saltwatert when initially mixed can be harmful to your fish in high quantities. It is alot more caustic at first and needs to generally mix for about 12 hours prior to adding to a system (especially of you are mixing and changing large quantities). If you are doing smaller percentage (~5%) water changes, often times it is not that big of a deal.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
made up about 5 litres of salt water with dlenouh salt to make up 40 litres

You can't mix up super strong salt concentrations like this. Calcium and other minerals will come out of solution and you will get cloudy water that won't go away. If you need to raise salinity, either put salt in the sump 1 cup at a time to raise it quickly or topoff with saltwater instead of fresh to raise it slowly. You should do a water change with saltwater at your normal salinity to help clear the cloudiness. Saltwater should mix for at least 24 hours before putting it in the tank, newly mixed water is caustic to fish and can burn their gills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.