The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without starting a debate about salt mix brands, I've been using IO since day one of my reef tank. I've noticed it before with batches but this time it seems to be getting worse. Using a 55 gallon plastic barrel used for nothing but make up water and cleaned between uses and using ro/di with zero ppm output. The water is crystal clear until I mix the salt. Even after 12 hours of mixing with a power head there is an awful lot of sediment floating around in the water and a film on the top. The sediment is thick enough to make the water cloudy. I'm going to let it pump for another day and see if it clears up. Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing or am I just getting paranoid?

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
I did a w/c 2 days ago with IO and RO/DI. I had the same problem. Thought it was because the water was cold so I heated it up to 80. Didn't make a bit of difference. That was the last of the IO I have so I'll be looking into something different now. Did you pick it up at the Ocean Reef meeting? Just wondering if mine was from the same batch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure how old it would be seeing no date stamp on bucket. It does have a sticker with the free t-shirt deal but no shirt in the bucket. I believe that was an old promotion.
The batch I made up is looking a bit better today but still a pretty good film on the top of the water. I'll wait til tomorrow for the w/c and see it better looking. I think I might be changing brands.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I spoke with Dr. Tim Hovanec at the ORCA conference last year about the same thing. He said a yellow color was natural for just mixed salt and that there will be some undisolvable particles. We have found if a bag or bucket has been opened for some time and the salt is hard, that the mix will look very bad. We have just thrown out the mix in the past because it would not clear up in the barrel. We go through 2 or 3 200 gal boxes a day now so if we come across what we consider bad salt, hard that wont break up, we toss it.
Instant Ocean sells the base salt mix to about half the other salt companies, so it might not be any better with another brand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been comparing IO and Oceanic in my store for about 3 months now.....IO seems to be better, but that is my Opinion....

The Oceanic has more diatom blooms than IO, but the Levels are different in IO such as the PH does not always balance to 8, it usually reads a little low.

Tropic Marin is the good stuff, but it is expensive...

As for the salt being sold tohalf of the companies, I heard that at one of the Pet Expo's...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with Dan- Tropic Marin PRO is what I use. Oceanic always causes red slime- diatoms for me- everytime. Instant Ocean doesnt have enough calcium, I had to supplement it which costs as much or more to do than getting Tropic pro. Red Sea salt is supposed to be good and Reef salt is supposed to be good, but for me I am sticking to what I like.
Carrie

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
I agree with Dan as well, I used oceanic for at least 6 months and it caused red slime diatoms as well. I use IO now for over 2 years and it has my tank clearer than ever. I dose calc. ph and the like. I think bio reef uses io as well.

sweet, my neighbor uses tropic marin pro and loves it as well. I may start using that.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I agree with Dan as well, I used oceanic for at least 6 months and it caused red slime diatoms as well. I use IO now for over 2 years and it has my tank clearer than ever. I dose calc. ph and the like. I think bio reef uses io as well.

sweet, my neighbor uses tropic marin pro and loves it as well. I may start using that.
Wayne Bio reef use Crystal Sea Marine Mix in there systems and on there service trucks. Very good salt mix Jack swears by it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Seachem told me about how IO provides the base salt mix to alot of companies. They said they just have to add their own trace element mix to customise it.
We used coralife for 7 years before switching to IO for our store tanks, the buffering capacity of IO was higher but there is residue. Another reason I chose IO was the polls on Reef Central showed such a high percentage of hobbist were using it.

·
Rob's Reef Owner
395 Posts
I like IO because it is a good base salt. The levels are low (Mg, Ca, CO3, etc), but you can add to get it where you want it.

Oceanic dissolves very quickly, heck you can breathe in the stuff if you dump it too quick.

The new Red Sea Pro is nice, and mixes to 450ppm Ca.

IMO, the best "all around" trustworthy salt is Reef Crystals by IO.

Tropic Marin is great, but I don't think the difference is enough to warrant the price. The stuff sits on the shelves for months.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The thing I have found that you have to use more of the IO to get a 24 - 25. I got some of the "store use" bulk. Mix directions said, each bag makes 25 gals. I was making up 200, so that should have been 8 bags, right. Well, it took 10 to get the salinity to 24. I have to agree with Rob, except he left out sea-chem. That along with the tropic marin collect dust on the shelves. My opinion is, use what works for you. I personally like Oceanic, I don't experience red slime or diatoms in either of tanks at home. Now at the store it's a different story. In the "fish units" I do exeprence red slime, but not the reef units. I did read an article somewhere that the majority of salt manufacters import their base from China, then do their own thing to it.

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Professional Acro killer!
1,131 Posts
IMO IO salt is crap. I've been using oceanic for about 4 yrs. dissolves completely. I doubt that IO sells base salt to 1/2 the other companies. Where did yo get that info from, IO sales person?
Why do you think its crap? There has been about 1000 debates on RC and it seems that the best best salt made is Reef Crystals. There has been 2 studies that I know of and red sea salt and reef crystals came out to be the best. Tropic marin was one of the worst...

Here is one of the studies on it if you care to argue with me.
Part 1: http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/sea_salt_study.php
Part 2: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Why do you think its crap? There has been about 1000 debates on RC and it seems that the best best salt made is Reef Crystals. There has been 2 studies that I know of and red sea salt and reef crystals came out to be the best. Tropic marin was one of the worst...

Here is one of the studies on it if you care to argue with me.
Part 1: http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/sea_salt_study.php
Part 2: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php
Dang it man, don't you have anything better to do than bring up old posts just to start an argument?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.