The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner of my LFS suggested I get a few Sally Lightfoot Crabs to control algae so I got one and it has been a model citizen! So yesterday I got a second one who is a bit bigger, and its the complete opposite. Its bullying the other crab, my peppermint shrimp ,my wrasse, and my blenny(who is dishing it back now). My question is are these crabs actually able to kill the other verts or fish? The LFS guy said he couldn't and would likely be the other way around. I am reading so many contradicting experiences. Has anyone actually seen one of these kill one of their tankmates, fish in particular?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

from what I have gathered as they increase in size they increase in aggression.

I have seen these guys kill a pistol shrimp at a LFS, and while we (the LFS guy and myself) were watching another crab went after and after the goby.

now the shrimp was on the small side, and the Hi Fin Red Banded Goby was maybe about 80% full grown, so not that large ether.

but before we could get into the tank to save the goby it was already dead.

the crab was not that big eather, maybe around 1/2-1/3" diameter shell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and thanks for the reply. I came home last night and found one of its arms in the mouth of my cleaner shrimp. Not sure what happened there. I am going to try and get it out tonight with a home made trap..i heard they are very hard to catch!! I have a peaceful tank and would like to keep it that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts