The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem keeping my salinity the same. I top off the water with salt water that has even a lower salt level than my tank which is usually around 1.026. but by the end of the week my tank raises up to 1.028 :mad:. Should I top off with freshwater or what can keep my salinity from swinging?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh!!! haha i guess somehow through my nine months of this hobby that fact slipped through haha. :lol: thanks guys for your help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh!!! haha i guess somehow through my nine months of this hobby that fact slipped through haha. :lol: thanks guys for your help!
No worries, there is a lot to wrap your head around when getting into this hobby, I began around 6 months ago and I am still working on learning as much as i can to avoid costly mistakes. thanks to the RT for an invaluable source of information.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I probably run into at least one or two people a weekend while working at the store who werent aware that freshwater should be used for topoff. It's very common.

With occasional waterchanges, it's suprising how long you can do this before the salinity gets high enough to start causing problems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea my salinity had been jumping to 1.028 I didn't notice any negative effects from it except that it was way too high! What exactly should mine be at for a fowlr

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What kind of measuring device are you using to get your salinity

if it is a hydrometer you must rinse it with fresh water after and before every use.

if it is a refracometer then it is far more accurate.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
yea my salinity had been jumping to 1.028 I didn't notice any negative effects from it except that it was way too high! What exactly should mine be at for a fowlr
1.025 is what I'd recommend.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
a hydrometer and yes i rinse it out. For a fowlr does it still have to be 1.026 or should I lower it?
I read in a book the other day that lowering the salinity will actually help reduce parasites. Wish i could remember the name of the book and the author.

He was recommending running qt tanks lower to help reduce parasites, somewhere between 1.016 and 1.018. Personally i think that is too low but with a fowlr tank in your case you could slowly drop it down to 1.020 or 1.021 and you shouldn't have any problems. And it will save money on salt. If you are at 1.028 now, try to make the change gradually over several weeks. Just do your research if you have any inverts like shrimp and such because many of them will require a higher salinity.

The reason most people on here recommend 1.025 or 1.026 is because they are keeping corals and that is recommended since it is closer to trying to replicate a natural reef environment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts