The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am going to be getting a shipment from Vivid this week and I was wondering if anyone knew what salinity they shipped fish at. I like to prepare my quarantine so that acclimation goes more smoothly with less of a jump and shock to new fish. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
In my experience, shipped fish and even from LFS's run lower SG than my 1.025-6.
I just make sure all livestock gets a slow acllimation time and plenty of time and volume of my water, when theirs is ~ 1.023.

Be especially gentle with livetock that are more sensitive to changes in SG.

HTH

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I agree with calling them. I got a fish from Unique Corals once and the salinity was crazy low, like they'd been doing hypo on the little guy. I usually just float and dump shipped fish to get them out of that ammonia build up but the huge difference made that impossible. I had to redo the QT to bring the salinity down and acclimate him much slower.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just do a test once you get the bag. A bucket drip acclimation (double the volume) is your best bet. It's not only salinity you're looking to match, it's the ph also. A ph shock can kill the fish, some almost immediately. They'll be fine for the 30-60 minutes it takes to slow acclimate them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts