The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
warren ohio
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use red sea brand salt. i took a hydrometer reading i got 1.020 to 1.021 at temp of 81 degrease. is this ok salt level. would the reading go up at a lower temp say 78 degrease.? should i add more salt.? what salinty should i shoot for at this temp. i just dont know if i have the right amount in the water. anyone know if with the above reading i got what the true sality is
i need advise and help please.
thank you

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
hydrometer's aren't always reliable. Also what do you keep in the tank? For fish only that salinity is fine. For corals you want it to be 1.025. Invest in a refractometer for beter results. Also is this for a water change or initial setup? If its for a water change make sure to airate the water for 24 hours.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Okay. all depends on what will be in the tank. As before that salinity is fine for fowler tank if it's going to be reef shoot for 1.025. As far as I know temp doesn't effect salinity. I know with my salt when following the directions my salinity is low, I add more salt till I get it where I want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hydrometer readings do vary with temperature, I believe they are calibrated @ 21 but don't quote me on that. I'd say go for refractometer which will give you precise readings regardless of temp due to it reading refracted light passing through your salt mix rather than relying on boyancy as with the hydro. And not forgetting, your hydrometer will not give even a close reading if it isnt cleaned after each reading.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
good advice so far.

Temp DOES affect the salinity. Not by a whole lot...but it does.

Also, I'd like to riterate the need for a refractometer. I ignored the advice early on...thinking I was keeping my tank at 1.025. But when I finally got a refractometer, it turned out that that whole time (6 months), my tank was ACTUALLY at about 1.030. Which is very bad!!

and I'd like to agree with Jena. For FO tank, 1.021 is a good aim. If you plan on getting corals, I'd shoot for 1.025.

Good luck...and tell us a little about your new set-up!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts