The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the top of the black part of the piston on the syringe is it reading .55 or .65? I say its .55 but I need to be sure.

Thanks

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My DkH. I was not paying attention and bam. I thinks its from frequent waterchanges using oceanic salt. It was much lower a few days ago. I am bringing it up slowly. I knew it was .55 but I needed to be sure because you need to be exact when adding an alkalinity supplement. I don't need to zero out all my levels. The directions on the salifert kits are not to precise, especially when it tells you to turn the syringe upside down and read it backwards

·
Registered
138 Posts
when you filled the syringe to 1.0, which part of the piston did you stop with. the front, middle or back? thats what you will need to measure with. if you stopped at 1.0 on the syringe with the back, then measure .55 with the front, your reading is off. it would be .58. make since?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok I tested a fresh batch of ASW and got a DKH reading that was higher than my tank. I have been adding seachem alk booster for a week now and cannot get it shift upward. I need some help

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Go buy 7 boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda.

Spread one box out thin on a glass pyrex baking pan.

Put in oven.

Turn oven on to 400

Bake in oven for four hours

Let cool

Mix with the 6 un-baked boxes of Arm and Hammer

Add some to tank and test, keeping count of how much you add each time you test. When it's over, you'll know how much to add each time.
EDIT: this isn't too clear
Add some to a plastic water container (RO/DI), mix it up, and then add it to the tank.

With this you don't have to worry about jiggling your alk too fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts