The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to make sure i'm doing this right as i've not detected PO4 for months

3] Add to this 1 level scoop of PO4-2 reagent and swirl the contents gently for 30 seconds

After 30 seconds of swirling i can still see undissolved crystals in the bottom of the vial, is that right? i've been leaving them there then comparing colours but am wondering if they all need to be dissolved??

TIA

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I don't know about that. I stopped testing for PO-4 along time ago. I think there is a simpler way to discover phosphates in the tank... look for algae. From my understanding there would be a huge algae problem long before PO-4 is detected in the water.

Other than that ...BUMP, for some one who knows the answer to the question.

·
11,345 Posts
My salifert phosphate test did that when i used to test my well water which was around 40 degress. I would just use the spoon to stir it a touch and it would dissolve.

Im not positive but i think, old or not, your going to get a more accurate reading by getting the crystals dissolved than by not. I odnt understand the science behind the test enough to know if the phosphate result would show more or less by less crystals used, but im sure it would be one or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I keep swirling until they're dissolved. :agree:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

Must admit i have read that salifert PO4 kits are not that sensitive, sounds like quite a few do not test for phosphates but have any of you heard of D-Deltec phosphate kits? Apparantly they can detect from 0.0 to 0.14. , they cost a few £ but maybe more worthwhile test? think i'll give them a go.

:beer:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wiskey said:
There is another thing caled a colormeater by hanna (I think) that is gaining a lot of popularity lately for accurate phospate testing.

Whiskey
:beer: Whiskey, googled that and found a good site , loads of info on there as well :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts