The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally checked my Alkalinity on my tank....its the salifert alkalinity test...where you put the drops in and the water changes color from blue to pink to get the proper reading....it came up .40 whick I think is low???? does anyone else use this test kit and can tell me what I need to do or add????/ my ph is 8.3 ammonia 0 nitrates @ 5 nitrites are 0 thanks in advance for any help....I also have the calcium test kit which Ill check on tonight!!!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I'd do the test a second time to be sure it was accurate. Make sure that you leave the air bubble in the syringe. The fluid line should be at around .85 with the tip installed. Then check calcium before you consider any adjustments.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whatevva said:
I'd do the test a second time to be sure it was accurate. Make sure that you leave the air bubble in the syringe. The fluid line should be at around .85 with the tip installed. Then check calcium before you consider any adjustments.

HOW DO YOU DO THE AIR BUBBLE??? I filled mine up to 1.0 ml it said to use the drops til it turns from blue to pink....I had .40 where the black part of the surrenge was thats what it said to test from....that was for alkalinity...I still have to do my calcium reading later??? I bought some calcium builder and some alkalinity builder but everyone says not to use them do it natural....I just want my reading to be right????

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
HOW DO YOU DO THE AIR BUBBLE??? I filled mine up to 1.0 ml it said to use the drops til it turns from blue to pink....I had .40 where the black part of the surrenge was thats what it said to test from
It should just be there. When you fill the syringe, and pull the plunger back to 1.0 ml, look at where the fluid is at inside. It should be at the .85 mark because .15 ml are in the tip. Some people have made the mistake of pushing out all the air and filling the fluid to the 1.0 ml line. This will give you a lower result.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool we will be adding stuff very shortly and want the tank parameters good! so whats low? and do you guys add anything to your coral tanks?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike O'Brien said:
That's a perfect reading in my book. 9.6 dkh.

I think the book called for 8.0 dkh? which means typically Id have to much alkalinity right???? If that was the case would I lower It or keep it there???sorry so many ???/just trying to figure this out on calc and alka????

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Dont worry about the bubble, that is just too confusing. As long as the tip is completely submerged the entire time you draw liquid into the syringe you will be ok, then pull the black line up to the 1.0 mark, and read it from the black line.

You want your alkalinity
2.5 - 4 meq/L or 7 - 11 dKH or 125 - 200 ppm CaCO<SUB>3</SUB> equivalents

And
Calcium: <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p> </O:p>
380 – 450 ppm calcium ion or 950 - 1125 ppm CaCO<SUB>3</SUB> equivalents

Once you are within that range you can maintain it with a two part buffer, or by using kalkwasser. I drip in kalkwasser with water change water, it is, imo the superior method to maintain calcium and alkalinity once they are in balance. If they are out of balance then you add baking soda to raise alkalinity if it is low relative to calcium, and you add calcium chloride if it is low relative to alkalinity.

Or you could look it up here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks alot....Im going to read and try to figure this stuff out...

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes they are I never could get my calcium seachem kit to work last night?
I guess Im not a chemist

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Don't worry about the bubble, that is just too confusing.
I would very much worry about the bubble. Just as a test, draw fluid in a few times and notice the difference each time. If the syringe is dry, the level should be directly at the 0.75 mark (yes I said .85 before, I was incorrect). Then let the fluid out and draw it in again and look. I'll bet you're at 0.78 this time or even more! That .03 difference is .5 dKh! I know...I'm the alkalinity Nazi :rolleyes:

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
drsyme is right, push the plunger all the way into the syringe, make sure the pointy tip is seated firmly on the end of the syringe. Submerge the end of the tip in the fluid and make sure it stays submerged. Pull the plunger out to the point where the bottom of the black rubber plunger is at the 1.0ml mark. Holding the syringe with the tip down, drip in until the color change and record the mark that is just below the black rubber plunger. Lookup the value on the chart and you will be right on.

It make no difference how big the bubble is since you are measuring the amount of fluid dispensed. Whatever the size of bubble you have when you start, you will have the same size bubble when you are done.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
It make no difference how big the bubble is since you are measuring the amount of fluid dispensed.
The point that you're missing is that there may be stray fluid already in the syringe. Try it! You'll see.. If you can live with a .5 dkh error, then don't worry about the bubble.

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
whatevva said:
The point that you're missing is that there may be stray fluid already in the syringe. Try it! You'll see.. If you can live with a .5 dkh error, then don't worry about the bubble.
That doesn't matter either. As long as no air escapes as you are dripping into the sample, you are measuring fluid dispensed which is the important item.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts