The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow reefers,
I am new to the SW hobby (kept FW fish for 8 years). I set up my tank in February 2012 (live sand (100 lbs) and live rock (~175 lbs), and in April I added my first 3 fish and gradually added more fish.
A month ago I added live rock that was not cured (did not know this) and it raised my nitrates off the chart. I lost 5 fish because of this :,( My sailfin looked very bad but I separated him and treated him with copper and within a day he looked better. A week later he looked perfectly fine, but a few days ago I noticed he looked super sick! The copper treatment doesn't seam to work anymore. I don't know if he has rot, parasites, fungus, ick, or what. I thought he had ich but his fin looks like it has been nipped at but he is alone so it is impossible. He lost color, and his mouth looks like it's shedding skin.
Can someone please help? These are my parameters:
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
pH- 8.2
salinity- 1.025
temperature- 77f
Nitrate- 20 (have been decreasing by water changes and purigen)
100 galons
I have attached an image of Ace (my sailfin tang)
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Imo I would say he has a bacterial infection. Both fin rot as well as conditions that cause mouth peeling or "sluffing" are bacterial. They can both be caused by stress or bacteria entering an injury caused by other fish lr or even aquarium glass in the case of the mouth injury. If you can qt do so and treat with an antibiotic such as melafix if not dose food with antibiotics such as metronidazole neoplex or ketoplex with focus.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have battled that before in my cichlid tanks. I have found this to work very well. It is called Metronidazole. 250 mg tablets. Crush 3 tablets and dissolve in tank water. I had to get it at my vets office.

****** I have never used it on saltwater fish so I don't know if has anything that is not reef safe.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
They sell metro already in a powder at lfs. In dt you will want to soak food in it for him to ingest in qt you can feed it and treat water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts