The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I just started a new tank and it is now finished cycling. I am looking for a good first fish to add. the initial obvious option is chromis or similar as they are cheaphowever I have been advised that they may not be the best option as they are a bit fickle and can die easily. I was advised that perhaps a sailfin tang would be a good option as they are hardy and will help deal with my algae problem (I can also get a small one cheap). what do you guys think?

also I plan to keep shrimp at some point will the tang eat/attack it? (and other invests, crabs, snails, stars, etc)

any help would be amazing, thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Tangs are grazers...basically vegetarians, but will eat meat if offered...mine will eat some blender mush, but again constanly picks at the rocks. Tangs need a large tank, and grow fairly large. I do not know how long your tank has been up and cycled, but I would start with some snails and maybe a shrimp or two before I would add a fish...take your time and go very slowly adding live stock...plan ahead, if your tank is large enough for tangs, then make sure whatever you add is compatible, tangs also enjoy caves and hiding places and are pretty reef safe, if you decide to add some corals later this is a good choice. Angels on the other hand can pick on coral polyps and Zoa's...good luck with your new tank

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Whoever told you to start with a sailfin tang shouldn't be giving advice on tanks. To hotdogg's point, you shouldn't be adding any fish yet. The cycle is only part of the maturation process for the bacteria. When the cycle is done, you can add your CUC, but again, add slowly. Your next stage is "the uglies". This will be a bloom of algae...when the brown goes and it turns green, then you can add your first fish. Plan what you want as a whole for the tank and post on here and we can help with compatibility and in what order to add the fish.

Sailfin tangs are recommended for 180g minimum tanks and are usually better off with more experienced hobbyists. They are very susceptible to ich, so you want to be sure you have the tank mature and your maintenance schedule down before adding any tangs. Lastly, tangs should be among the last, if not the last, fish added.

As for what fish to start with, cheap or expensive, hardy vs easy, etc shouldn't come into play. What should come into play is the total stocking list you want, what is compatible, and what should be added based on how we can reasonably expect them to interact....most passive fish first, most aggressive last.

I'd suggest taking the next couple of weeks to do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions, and get used to maintaining stable parameters on the tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whoever told you to start with a sailfin tang shouldn't be giving advice on tanks. To hotdogg's point, you shouldn't be adding any fish yet. The cycle is only part of the maturation process for the bacteria. When the cycle is done, you can add your CUC, but again, add slowly. Your next stage is "the uglies". This will be a bloom of algae...when the brown goes and it turns green, then you can add your first fish. Plan what you want as a whole for the tank and post on here and we can help with compatibility and in what order to add the fish.

Sailfin tangs are recommended for 180g minimum tanks and are usually better off with more experienced hobbyists. They are very susceptible to ich, so you want to be sure you have the tank mature and your maintenance schedule down before adding any tangs. Lastly, tangs should be among the last, if not the last, fish added.

As for what fish to start with, cheap or expensive, hardy vs easy, etc shouldn't come into play. What should come into play is the total stocking list you want, what is compatible, and what should be added based on how we can reasonably expect them to interact....most passive fish first, most aggressive last.

I'd suggest taking the next couple of weeks to do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions, and get used to maintaining stable parameters on the tank.
+1:beer: good post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tangs are super sensitive. Mine got ick after a tank upgrade. Maybe get a clown in a few weeks after you put in a clean up crew. That is if you are even planning on getting a clown.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
a trillion and one...That is impressive...does it make me a nerd that I actually counted the zeros to figure that out :D

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
a trillion and one...That is impressive...does it make me a nerd that I actually counted the zeros to figure that out :D
I'm gonna sat yep... but we all are in a way.. HAHA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts