The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my nova extreme finally came (4 weeks after ordering) and it reccomends a glass top and has an acrylic cover over the lights. I had been planning on no top and taking off the cover over the bulbs as well to maximize light output. This is not factory reccomended but is it safe? oh yeah, its on approx. 2 inch mounting brackets

·
11,345 Posts
You should never use a top on top of yoru tank......as far as on the bulbs...........if we are talking about a DE halide, then they MUST hae the covers in plae or you will fry everything with UV.

If not DE no covers are necessary you just need to have them high enought hey dont get splashed

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I would leave the acrylic cover over the bulbs and run no tops on the tank. Taking off the acrylic cover that protects the bulbs will lead to corrosion problems on the reflectors and bulb connections. Most retro kits that are meant to run without a bulb cover will include moisture proof endcaps but that is not the case with light fixtures like yours.

The acrylic is so thin it really doesn't block any light and is very easy to remove for cleaning. It will also guard against occasional splashes and the rare but possible chance of a bulb breaking from accidental impact.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Is this the T5 fixture? The mounting legs should give it a good height off the water IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Can't speak for everyone, but when i first read the post I thought MH... After giving it some extra thought, I realized it was probably the T5 fixture with the mounting legs. It should be fine with the mounting legs alone.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
It should be safe to run without a top and without the cover, but you may have to be diligent about cleaning off the bulbs and reflectors. You're going to have some salt creep and maybe some splash that could corrode things, and the particular worry is going to be the endcaps. As long as you monitor that, you should be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts