The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ReefKeeper
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I purchased a Carpet Anemone and today I bought a Saddle Clown. The fish was pretty good sized and was loving the anemone. When I looked over at the tank, half the fish was in the anemones mouth. (about 6 hours after I got him). The fish turned around and basically worked his way in further. I definitely did not expect that to happen.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect this again? I understand if another fish gets caught that it will be eaten but I thought the clown would be safe. This was a bummer.

Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just something else to consider, Especially with wild caught clowns that have been absent and anemone for some time have a tendency to dive right back into one when one is introduced, unfortunatly they've lost their immunity to getting stung, Seems they have to gradually build their immunity to it. I had a friend who had this happen to him. he later got another clown that was hosting an anemone at the pet store and all was well. So all may not be lost.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I would not trust a Carpet. I had one that ate a goby and blue tang. If you really want an anenome, get a BTA. Id bring the Carpet back cause not only will they eat your fish, they are very hard to take care of and usually die within months, especially without MH/s

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I had a Condi that ate a handfull of clowns, took me a while to figure out what was going on. I thought they were jumping, so I spent my time building a new hood, screening it off, sealing it to the tank trim, until I finally figured out where my new pets were going to at night.

It took me 4 clowns, and 2 hood designs to figure this out :rolleyes:

(I bought 2 at a time)

Whiskey

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My condy is more at risk than my clown. Crazy maroon keeps biting the tenticles off. Should call it a moron fish. I never had luck with carpets so dont think they are good idea for a reef tank they are not picky eaters. Someone even had their urchin eaten by one.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Twitterbait said:
All anenomes will sting coral. Carpets are also one of the few anens that can hurt humans too. wear gloves with them.
some people experience an allergic reaction and their windpipes close, so dont take any chances, wear thick glove, preferably the corallife pvc aqua gloves

1 - 13 of 13 Posts