The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local zoo yesterday. They had a two tank saltwater FO setup. In one setup the had a Tomato Clown and a Hermit crab(WOOHOO). In the other tank they had 3 Blue Damsels and a Yellow Tang. The card indicating the inhabitants said there was also a Sailfin and a Scopas of which I did not see. Needless to say, the Yellow Tang practically had no fins left. It appears as though the Damsels had beaten the thing up pretty bad. All of this is going on it what seems to be about a 65g tank. The selction of fish could not have been much worse. I am very upset with the zoo and have considered calling them and giving them a piece of my mind. It was a pathetic shame!

· Sumpless and Proud
1,370 Posts
I agree that is sad. What about calling the zoo and asking to speak with their aquarist? You could speak with him about your interest in the hobby, then segue into a conversation about their tanks. Perhaps offer to help. I think calling and yelling or complaining won't get you very far....but if you act concerned, you might get a better response.

JMHO....

Jodi

· Administrator
61,143 Posts
I agree with Jodi, coming off aggressivly wont get you anywhere, it just brings out their" I am a proffessional" attitude
Offering to help is a better foot in the door :)

· Registered
3,412 Posts
if need be tell the mto check with the toledo zoo. it's rated in the top 5 in the world, for about the last 20 years.

they havea top notch aquarium section. zoo's tend to be pretty helpfull with one another. if they'll listen to you, that'd be great, specially since you are local. but everyone's right, dont be mean or rude, they'll just get holier than though and ignor you.

here's a sample of ONE of our zoo's tanks. there are over 40 tanks at the zoo. and at least 20 are over 300g.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.