The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Gena Henry. Some of you may know me from the Atlanta Reef Club...if you're a long time member. I was a regular the first couple of years, but have not made it to a single meeting this year....

I woke up this morning to find my sump pump had gone out around midnight. It had blown the fuse in the kitchen and now no longer works.

I have a 90 gallon, salt water tank with live rock, live sand, 4 fish and corals (bubble w/ baby bubble on same rock, leather toadstools, devils finger leather, button polyps and mushrooms). I've never dealt with this situation before and I need to know what to do. I don't want everything to die!

I fear the only way to really get to the sump pump is to move the tank and remove the sump tank...basically disassembling everything! As luck would have it, I had planned on going online TODAY and putting an ad on this forum to sell the whole thing. I've been in the hobby for 5 years now, but with a 1 1/2 year old and another on the way in January it's been more than a little difficult keeping up with it. Hopefully, we'll get another one further down the line when the kids are older....
:(

The emergency.....I need to disassembly this thing TODAY and at a minimum dispurse my fish, rock and corals to good foster homes until I can sell everything. As mentioned, I am 5 months pregnant..... And my husband can not get away from work today to assist.

Any good samaritans out there????!!!! Perhaps a deal can be made.

I have:

90 gallon tank and stand
50 gallon sump tank
Magnum 350 canister filter
Berlin skimmer
1- 300watt heater and a couple of smaller hang-on type heaters just lying around...not sure if they work
lots of supplements, food, accessories collected over the years
a couple of pumps currently working in the tank
Yellow tang, Regal tang (looks raggedy...been that way for 3+ years but still hanging in!!!!), royal gamma and my baby...a clown fish named Tramp.
2 serpent stars
hermits and a few snails
sand is full of copopods(sp?) and worms

I live in Lawrenceville. My phone number is: 770-931-8499

PLEASE HELP or at least GIVE ADVICE if you can!!!! I'm not sure what all I need to do, but I'm sure time is running out!

Thanks!
Gena

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
The first thing I would is if you have a power head or any other kind of pump, try to increase flow in the tank. That should hold off just a bit. I noticed you said you have a couple of pumps in the tank. That is a good thing. I can provide a home to most if not all of your fish if need be. And I think the stars aren't a stretch at all.
I have forgotten to turn back on my pump after a water change and did not catch it until the next day before. My timer kicked off and turn on my power heads and all seemed well.
I am not sure how your sump is set up. Mine is set up so I can get to my pump through my sump. If this is not the case, is there a way to start some kind of syphon and use a pond pump and /or a powerhead.?
That may buy you more time.
As much as I would like to buy the tank and stand, Unfortunatly finances are tight as we are trying to save up for a new house. However depending on what you are expecting for your tank and/or stand and skimmer I may be able to swing something by the wife.
I will call and see when I may be able to leave work and try to give the fish homes if need be.

Ray

·
Registered
173 Posts
So did you lose any water, or is it just the fact that the system is shut down and there is no water movement period? I live over in Birmingham AL or I would offer to help babysit. We just recently moved my brother to Indiana and his system was broken down and in rubbermaid tubs for a good 12 hours. Everyone survived including his brittle.
Do you run powerheads, or is it a closed loop? I would think the biggest thing is to make sure there is an air source and that there is some water movement so that your corals are continually being bathed. If you do not have a pump or powerhead I guess that is a little tough, but I would just gently agitate the water with a flat object like a spatula to simulate current and wave action, and get to your LFS as soon as possible.
I know these creatures are like children to us, but I think we underestimate how tough they really can be.
I hope there is a little advice you can use here,
David West

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice and help!

Thank you both for the advice! No, no water loss or anything quite that bad. It's been a learning experience, but I'm thankful I have a bunch of other enthusiasts out there willing to come to my rescue!

I'm actually feeling a lot better about it now that I've done a few things suggested to me...

In addition to the two powerheads already in the tank and the Magnum 350 that is still running I've added 2 airstones and, thanks to Ray's suggestion!!, took a large pump I use for water changes and just started running it directly from the sump back into the tank.

Seems to be working so far!

I've got a friend willing to come over tonight to see if we can swap out the old sump pump for a new one without having to disassemble everything...I personally don't see how, but we're going to try!

The tank will still be up for sale if anyone is interested.

Forgot to mention that the tank uses four 48" VHO lights. 2 actinic and 2 daylight. I have two separate ballasts running them (one of the ballasts is just a year old) and the lights are on timers. The stand is wood (cherry color) and stands a little over 5 feet tall. Also I have 2 battery powered air pumps and 1 electric air pump with two outlets.

I really would like to get $875 out of it. I have so much more than that invested in it...as we all know too well. :rolleyes:

Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I can relate after my emergency last year -- I just saw the post - If you still need any help let me know.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things are good....

Thanks everyone for your advice and assistance!! I've got everything under control now with a new sump pump! Not quite the investment I wanted to make before selling the darn thing, but ....

I will be away for the weekend, but look for a "For Sale" post either next Monday or Tuesday with more of the details of what all I have.

p.s. Just so I don't get a million emails, I'm NOT interested in piece parting the set up at this time. Perhaps as January and the due date of this newest little one arrives, but for now it would just be too much on me and my schedule with a toddler to try to arrange 10 different days/times for 10 different buyers to come purchase different parts of the tank. I don't need to sell it that badly. I love my finned "kids" and am truly torn by the decision to get rid of the tank, but I know it's what needs to be done right now. I'm just glad the emergency is over and I don't have to try to do anything drastic to get the tank broken down in then next 24 hours or something.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

Gena

1 - 6 of 6 Posts