The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to try a royal gramma on Tuesday. The fished looked to be doing very good at my LFS. I brought the fish home and dripped him for an hour or a little over. I put him in the tank and he went right to the bottom against a rock. I figured he was hiding. after about 10 minutes he was up swimming in a corner of the tank and found a hole in a rock. He laid in the hole for most part of the day but would come out to feed in front of his hole. He was eating and seemed to be doing good. Today, I woke up and I could see his face in the hole except he was dead. I seen a blue legged hermit eating his tail. Could it have been a hermit that grabbed him while he was sitting still or do you think stress could have been a factor? I have a 40 gallon breeder and only 2 ocellaris clowns and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Oh and 5 hermits

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The hole he went into had a couple small openings on leading too it. I just didn't know if the crab could of stuck its claw through a small hole and grabbed him while he was laying in the hole?

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think they would but I wondered if they might of grabbed it because it was sitting still inside its hole. Im not sure how it died and I guess I wont know. Like I said the hole it sat inside had other openings by it that a grab could have stuck his claw in. I just wasn't sure if they would grab it while it was sitting or not

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any more opinions on why it could have died? I thought those type of fish were very hardy but I guess not the one I got

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I agree with Doug - that hermit couldn't have caught and/or killed a healthy fish. Could just be stress. I'm assuming you checked all your parameters? When you drip acclimated him did you do it in a bucket with a heater? Many times long drip acclamations can cause the the temp to be very different from the tank, so it can be a shock when they get dropped in.

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't use a heater when I did it. Is it best to drip them or can I just leave them in the bag and take a little water out and add more over every few minutes or so? He seemed to do good for a couple or few days though. Ate and everything so Im not sure what could of caused it.

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I highly doubt my clown fish would have bothered him or anything. They didn't even act like he existed when I put him in. They seen him at first but continued about their business. At night they go up to a corner of the tank to sleep and he stayed down in the hole. I know they weren't competing for territory or anything like that

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I don't drip acclimate fish. I just float them and add a little tank water about every 10 minutes.

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think I am going to do that now. I did that with my clown fish and they haven't had a problem. Oh well guess I will just rule it stress. Thanks for the opinions though. I have read where they have died doing the same thing. Go into hiding for a while and don't come out much. Could have just been a lot of stress on him. Ill give it another try sometime. Just need to stick to peaceful fish I can keep in an open top tank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts