The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new 30 gallon (cycled) tank. I've had two clowns in the tank for about three weeks. Last week I added a Royal Gramma. Two days later I added a Neon Dottyback. So far the Gramma mostly hides in the rocks but comes out now and then. The Dottyback is out about half the time.

On the two occasions I've seen them out at the same time the Dottyback nips at the Gramma. Did I make a bad choice, or should I allow them to acclimate a little longer to see if they start getting along?

Thanks for your help.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Ya both of those fish types are aggressive to similar shape and or colored fish. Dotty backs fire fish and gramma tend to dislike each other. Mostly the dotty back and grammas. They will pick on their own kind as well.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Dottybacks are considered to be semi aggressive. In a 30 Gallon tank you do not have enough territory for the Gramma and the Dottyback to coexist peacefully. Any fish that has the same body shape, or color, or personality could be considered a threat to one of the other fish. I have a gramma in my 90G tank, but I have ALOT more room and could probably house the two together without many problems. I wouldn't because of these factors. I would get a red psuedochromis instead of a blue-purple fish. Neon dottybacks are very close in color and shape as the Gramma. They both have yellow, and purple/blue. I don't know how easy a fish can distinguish blue from purple, but this is probably the reason they are fighting. They feel they have too much competition for food and territory in a small area. I would keep one or the other and return one of them to the pet store.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Lol

An example my royal gramma had to have a serious chat and many close looks with the Midas Blenny due to odds are yellow color and long shape. He was okay with the fire fish.

The Midas had issues with the fire fish though being very similar shape. Luckily only light aggression which they got past quickly.

Royal grammas have some stubborn refusal to back down when the mood strikes them. Mine subdued two clowns long ago and now on the rare occasion the hippo tang runs him over he mouthes the tangs mouth as a threat. The tang ignores it now simply due to being 10" larger lol.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I have new 30 gallon (cycled) tank. I've had two clowns in the tank for about three weeks. Last week I added a Royal Gramma. Two days later I added a Neon Dottyback. So far the Gramma mostly hides in the rocks but comes out now and then. The Dottyback is out about half the time.

On the two occasions I've seen them out at the same time the Dottyback nips at the Gramma. Did I make a bad choice, or should I allow them to acclimate a little longer to see if they start getting along?

Thanks for your help.
my gramma does the same till he feels safe then pops out but at feeding time hes out there giving it his all bless him

1 - 7 of 7 Posts