1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
interested as well. :read:

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I just started using it due to the great success others locally have had. So far so good for me. The water definately looks crystal clear.... now I just need to wait and see if the hair algae dies off...

·
big fishy
941 Posts
I used it some time ago and only used it until I found and removed the source of the phosphate.

Ken

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
kjdeut said:
I used it some time ago and only used it until I found and removed the source of the phosphate.

Ken
Good point. If you have ph04 you will definatly want to find the source, you will find in quite a few cases its from non-calcium based sand in tank or fug or old rock that has absorbed lots of waste. This of course is a case by case bases but thats what I see lots.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I won't say that I will never use it but.....

I prefer to keep good water quality through heavy skimmer, frequent water changes, and frequent detritus removal.

If you run rowaphos all the time as a preventative measure, to me it is important to see indicators that I need to either change my maintenance, food source or something that is causing it. If it gets absorbed by the rowaphos that isn't a bad thing but I may not know that I have a problem that I should be able to correct without the use of chemical filtration.

So while it may be a good thing to had on hand for emergencies. Not sure I want to run it all the time as a preventative.

·
Registered
79 Posts
PhosBan

I use PhosBan. Because I feed my fish a lot. I knew I have put P into my system. I put PhosBan in my Eheim Canister filter and change it out every two months. I think PhosBan may be a better product.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
for instance I will have continued use for it until my sandbed it swapped out because it is old and heavily saturated with nutrients... then I will continue to use it for a little while after to ensure there is no residual nutrients that pop up... then I will use it when settiing up any new tanks to prevent or minimize any initial outbreaks. Aside from that occasional use to help
"polish" the water since I am not changing my water as religiously as I should :D Not quite at Dereks level with water changes but I am still ashamed of my water change regime....:)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have also read that phosban has worked better for people than rowaphos. Things that I have read also suggest that you should start slowly because a rapid decrease in PO4 leads to bleaching of sps corals.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Rowaphos works better than phosban in my experience which is consistent with everything I have read thus far... Jake where did you hear that phosban worked better?? As far as bleaching that is a risk because of the rapid decrease in PO4 as well as Rowaphos can drop your PH and I think alk a little on start up.. the heavier use or flow through a fluidized reactor can creat a larger drop in PH or alk.... so if you use a fluidized reactor keep the flow to an absolute minimum and then over the course of days or weeks increase the flow a it until your reactor is actually fluidized.

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
I use it- It works awesome but be careful. It's one of the most powerful agents I use. I can actually control my ORP with the rowaphos reactor more than with my 500 mg of ozone. It definately polished the water. I can now go about 11 days before I need to clean the algae off my tank pane. It will bleach SPS and cause tissue recession in LPS if overdone. The rapid decrease in Phosphate can hurt the benficial zooxanthellae in the coral as well as it does to the nasty hair algae.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts