The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so.... we have a 100 gallon tank. I purchased a rbt about six months ago for my gold strip maroon. When we got it home it moved around for a couple of days and found it's spot in the middle top of the tank. We feed shrimp you buy from the grocery store. About a month or two later he started hiding in the back of the tank for a couple days then he would come out. After he goes into hiding and comes out there are a couple baby rose bubbles about the size of a nickle with bubble tips and a foot!!! These babies last about a month then disappear!!! I read somewhere that gold strip's are hard on there anemones and could possible kill it. I have seen her nibble on the tips, but that was when we first brought it home, I have not seen her do it sense.
Well we moved and it's doing it again!!!! We have been in our new home for a month now, and it has not been it's full size sense before we moved. It only opens to a quarter of it's potential, and it opens at night.... I have no idea whats going on.... is it adjusting to the tank???? My other anemones are doing well. We have one rose bubble tip, one purple carpet, and one green carpet. Any insight as to what is going on would be great... are lighting system is as follows, all our water test come out just fine....
2- 175 w metal halides
2- T5HO Blue
42 inch power compact
Remora skimmer
we also have a 30 gallon refugium we do a 5 % water change once a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I suspect a lighting issue. Would need some better pics to be sure but none of your anemones look very healthy to me. The carpets are bleached, healthy anemones are not white or pale in color. Sometimes anemones split as a stress reaction, the fact that your rose bubble is splitting off babies may not be a good sign.

5% water changes are not as helpful as larger bi-weekly or monthly changes. There is a thread with the mathematics recently posted.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/aggresive-water-changes-142040.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my purple carpet always looked "bleached" when the metal halides are on....I have had this carpet for two years..... and right now it's purple.... my green carpet is not bleached looking and is doing great!!!!! The only problem is with my rose bubble tip.....it looks like the gold strip maroon is biting off pieces, I have read they do that!!! Maybe this is why I can't get it to open up.... it feels threatened... and has gone into defense mode???? Maybe another possibility???
2- 175 w metal halides
2- T5HO Blue
42 inch power compact
not enough lighting?????
How do I get a good picture of my tank with my camera????

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
How old are the bulbs? What reflectors and how high over the tank?

What are the dimensions of the tank, specifically depth of the water and length of the tank?

The fact that your anemone has always looked bleached doesn't mean it's healthy. Anemones can take months or even years to slowly fade away in our systems.

Maybe some other forum members will contribute their thoughts but as I said, all of your anemones look like they are doing poorly in those pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rose Bubble Tip Splitting Front Row Tickets!!!

Okay so I woke up this morning turned on the lights and this is what my bubble tip looks like now!!!! It's splitting right???? I can see the rock it is attached to through it's mouth.... it's not spilling guts.... tell me what you think???
I'm running my power compact right now.... and my purple carpet is purple.... it only looks white when I turn on my halides??? I know silly right!!!??? Any suggestions why it would look so white with the halides, and so purple with the power compact???

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts