The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stopped in at the LFS. I heard he had gotten 2 Pink Pacific or Hatian or something or other anemone's for watching someone's tank so I went to check them out. I've been trying to look them up. They look just like this http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=02-1518-10 priced at $99.99. These had their foot in the rock just like it says these tend to do. He has them priced at around $49.99 or somewhere around there. He wasn't sure they'd even sell for that up here. He has the same PC's (Coralife 260 watt) I have because I got mine from him. They have already split once and are splitting again. I was thinking of adding an anemone due to my mean ol' clown anyway (Read earlier post today regarding bossy clown.) It's important to note that he has only had them less than a week. Vivid Aquariums says they are "easier to keep than any other anemone they sell". I'm really thinking of getting one. It would be great to have an anemone splitting that I could share with friends and possibly have that clown host especially at that price! (My clown is an ocellaris.) I also have 216 watt t-5 lights that we intend to use soon. They just keep going off and tripping the GFI so can't use them quite yet. Hubby is working on that. I plan to use both the PC's and the T-5's. I've had my 55 for 1 1/2 yrs but we are upgrading to a 75 as soon as we test the plumbing and make up all that water. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The rose anemone in the link is a rbta or rose bubble tip which is different than a haitian anemone. They are the easiest clown hosting anemone's to keep as long as they have good water, lighting and are fed occasionally. I have both a rose and green bubble tip in my tank. I have metal halides though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have three of them in seperate tanks and they are my favorite anemone. I have found them to be very easy to care for. Once they find a spot they like, they tend to stay there. Each anemone has its own pair of clowns, Tomatoes, Maroons, and black ocellaris. Two of the roses are under halides and one under pc's and all are doing well. They are fed two times per week.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
A couple of words of caution. Bubble tip anemones can and will split when they are under stress, and while that PC lighting may be adequate, if it's splitting so frequently I'd be weary. I imagine it's due to inadequate nourishment, though maybe not.

Second, bubble tips are NOT the natural anemone for ocellaris clowns, and there is only an average chance that it will start hosting in it. I have a pair of ocellaris and a rose BTA and they don't even go near the anemone.

They are beautiful creatures, though, so I wouldnt blame you if you decide to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
bubble tips are NOT the natural anemone for ocellaris clowns, and there is only an average chance that it will start hosting in it.
:agree:

I agree. I had 2 ocellaris and they wouldn't go within 6" of my green BTA. I bought a goldstrip maroon that now hosts in my RBTA. Mine is also under MH. But I do love my anemone. By the way here is a anemone/clownfish compatability chart that may answer some further questions.
http://www.aquacon.com/clownfishanenomecompatibility.html
Good Luck

btabuddy.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back and they were called Pacific Pink Anemones. I'll do more research. I loved the color. They both ate a fish while I was there and their color sure looked good. I do wonder about them splitting out of stress though. It certainly could be. Sad if that's it. Thanks again for the info. I may just have to watch them for a bit. They are so beautiful and the price.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts