The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the plunge and bought a 200L reef tank from a friend who was moving overseas. I have kept marine fish successfully for years but an unexperienced with corals and other inverts. The tank was going great for about a month with major growth in soft corals and happy elegance and anemones when BOOM! three separate small colonies of torch coral were hit with brown jelly. I followed the instructions in The Reef Aquarium and dipped it, no joy, cut off affected sections, still no joy. I was unable to save it. At the same time, my leather coral started to look unhappy. I have seen it slough off before, but this was different. It had some brown on it which I siphoned off and a few yellow spots with a small crater. Some polyps are partially extended but it is still not happy. I have another tiny leather coral which appears to be on its way out. Temperature has not fluctuated, pH, ammonia, nitrates all fine. Other corals appear fine. This aquarium is so beautiful and such a blessing. I don't want to lose any more. Help!:confused:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT glad you found us.sounds like something changed or stressed out the tank,Im sure someone will chime in an offer some suggestions once again Welcome.:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Have you done any water tests?

Sounds like something is odd going on, and that would be a good start. What's Salinity, Ph, Calicum, Alk, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Temp?

Sounds like a beast to get all those levels, but it's good to verify that it's nothing there before going onto other ideas.

At worst, make your LFS test some of these for you if you don't have the tests, but if one of those is `off' then it's the easiest explanation and probably the easiest to cope with.

Until then, maybe do some regular water changes, 10% or so once a week or slightly more. That normally perks my corals right up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I have checked all except for alk and calcium. I'll head to the shop for those ones and do another water change tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just want to say how great it is to find you guys. I have volume one of The Reef Aquarium and use it often, but it is alot to digest. You guys take away so much of the guesswork and misinformation from LFS.

I do 30% water changes at least every four weeks. I am running a 220L tank with a 25L sump and a protein skimmer. I have 3 actinic bulbs and one white. I have two large jardinei, one med leather, med star polyp, one sm finger, one sm brain, many corallimorphs and one piece I don't know the name of. I will supply photos as soon as I get my camera back from Canon (so slow).

The only new additions are a small hermit crab and some small snails to help with algae. I gave them a freshwater dip before I added them.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
27,668 Posts
Hey ghoti! I just love the way you spell "fish" ;)

Welcome to TRT

break time over...gotta get back to work--------->

1 - 8 of 8 Posts