The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ive just bought new filters for my RODI unit. The sediment, carbon and DI resin. Once i replace them should I let it run water through it for a while and then dump that freshly made water? If so how much should I let it make before I have useable water.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I always run mine for a few minutes. I make sure the flush valve is off so it flows.

AZDesertrat would have the best answer.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
you want to flush them in order. that is, take all the old filters out, including the membrane. now, put the sediment filter in an d run about 5 gallons through. now put the carbon in and run another 5 gallons. now replace the ro membrane and put in the di. run about 5 gallons through it and you should be good to go.

the idea of flushing them separately is that you don't want the junk from your sediment filter clogging up your carbon, and so on.....

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Disinfect the system before installing the new filters.
To disinfect a system, remove the old prefilter and carbon(s) and disconnect the line leading from the carbon up to the RO membrane at the membrane housing. Put two to three spoonfulls of regular unscented bleach in the prefilter housing and screw the empty housings back in place. Turn the water on and let the housings fill until you get water out the disconnected line. Shut the water off and let the solution sit for 3-5 minutes. Turn the water back on and flush until the chlorine smell is gone. Unscrew the empty housings and dump the remaining water out.
Now, install only the new prefilter and screw the housings back on, turn the water on and flush only the prefilter for a few minutes to flush out any preseratives and binders or glues. Next, unscrew the carbon housing and install the carbon block then do another flush to remove and carbon dust of fines. If you have two carbons repeat the process for the second cartridge. Finally reinstall the line to the membrane, turn the water back on and you are done.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disinfect the system before installing the new filters.
To disinfect a system, remove the old prefilter and carbon(s) and disconnect the line leading from the carbon up to the RO membrane at the membrane housing. Put two to three spoonfulls of regular unscented bleach in the prefilter housing and screw the empty housings back in place. Turn the water on and let the housings fill until you get water out the disconnected line. Shut the water off and let the solution sit for 3-5 minutes. Turn the water back on and flush until the chlorine smell is gone. Unscrew the empty housings and dump the remaining water out.
Now, install only the new prefilter and screw the housings back on, turn the water on and flush only the prefilter for a few minutes to flush out any preseratives and binders or glues. Next, unscrew the carbon housing and install the carbon block then do another flush to remove and carbon dust of fines. If you have two carbons repeat the process for the second cartridge. Finally reinstall the line to the membrane, turn the water back on and you are done.
Great thanks for all the help guys worked out really good. I replaced the Di resin to so ran about 5 gallons through the entire system once that was in after everything else was done. Dumped that water and now it's making fresh 0tds water again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts