The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thanks for the time and effort u put in this without sites like this one guys like me would never try to get into this beautiful hobby. well my question is regarding the rodi units out there and which one would suit my situation. I have well water and would really like to stop the water runs from local grocery store so with what reading i could find the ro units are sensitive to hot water cold water, pressure, and contents in water. so how do i go about finding the right unit for my system without spending arm and leg. i have a fluctuating pressure on my line with my well pump that goes from around 40 to 70 and horrible iron content so i run a water softener. do u need a steady pressure, where in my system do i hook it up, and what do u think about pure water club units heard horror stories but they have cheapest 2 output 5 stage systems. just looking for more info on this subject before i buy, made the mistake once before and wont do it again lol the price of learning got to love it. thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would be prepared to spend a long dollar here if your serious about keeping a reef tank.

I can't answer about the water pressure or where to install the unit but the folks at Air water Ice Have been very good to me and know there stuff. I would guess that they would be happy to lead you in the right direction. (I have city water with great pressure)

I have ordered parts from them on line and ordered the wrong parts. they held my order called my phone and verified my order before shipping. they actually saved me money and made sure I had the right stuff.

their sight is http://www.airwaterice.com

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
You may end up spending a bit more...with pressure issues from a well pump/holding tank you may want/need a booster pump on the RO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pressure with rodi units

so can anyone tell me if fluctuating pressure matters with ro/di units the unit im looking at says it runs anywhere from 40 to 80 and the best being 65 so if my pump pressure builds to 70 and drops as it gets used usually to around 40 45 will that affect my unit and if so how much

·
Registered
104 Posts
so can anyone tell me if fluctuating pressure matters with ro/di units the unit im looking at says it runs anywhere from 40 to 80 and the best being 65 so if my pump pressure builds to 70 and drops as it gets used usually to around 40 45 will that affect my unit and if so how much
Relative to other water users in your house, the rodi unit uses VERY little water at a time. As long as your pressure stays within the range, it will be fine.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I believe I answered this elswhere but fluctuating pressure, as long as it is withing 40-70 will not hurt the unit but will give you a corresponding fluctuating water quality and water quantity. Below 40 psi and it won't hardly operate at all and will heavily depend on the DI resin to get what the RO membrane misses. The cost of DI could soon exceed the cost of a RO booster pump which would solve your problems.

Also make sure you use your softened water, RO membranes love softened water.

Here is the source for both a very good RO/DI and a booster pump, both of which are on sale:
http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-appreciation.html#1

And an article on why booster pumps are a good idea:
http://www.3reef.com/forums/spectrapure/why-use-booster-pump-your-ro-rodi-system-72249.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts