The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out which Marco Rocks set to get when I order my dry rock... theres a 25lb box of dry rock for $59.00, or a bundle thats 40lb dry rock, and 40lb argonite sand (not live) for $109.00.

My tank is a 29g tank, with 20g tall as sump... Just seeing which would be best, ill be doing all dry rock except a few lbs of live rock to seed the tank and have a long cycle...

Thoughts please? THANKS!!
-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question was on the sand they use... Is that the kind i should use in my tank? Is it good sand? here's a link to what it is so you guys can check it out! :drool:

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=62&HS=1

It's bahamas argonite sand.... Thats about all I can get from the website when I look at it, but figure maybe someone here has experience with it!

Thanks!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I do not like the sand they have... as for the rock, I would go with the Largo :)

This is what 25lbs of dry fiji looked like in a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub when I bought from them a few years ago :)

And this is what it looked like in a 55 gallon tank

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony-

WOW! Thank you for the pictures... In the 55g tank, thats just 25lbs if their dry rock?

So 25lbs of largo would be plenty for a standargs 30" 29g tank? Does it seem like a bunch more than you'd expect because dry rock weighs less than live rock since it doesnt have anything already in it to make it heavier?

I'm excited now!

-Scott

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yes. It is a lot more. and yes that was just 25lbs oif rock in the 55. a 25lb box will be more than adequate for a 29g (you will more than likely have too much)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Tony! Your advice is appreciated... as for my next item... I have decided to do a sand bed, not deep, maybe 1-2" tops, but not BB, just not my taste. What kind of sand was used in your 55g tank? I really like the super white sand you used!

Suggestions on type of sand welcomed... I'm not a fan of CC either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks Tony... I was looking, and they have 2 products that look good, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go for, and so i hope to see what you guys think...

There is there "Arag-Alive bahamas oolite" and their "Ocean Direct Oolite"

I tried to figure out the difference, the Ocean Direct Oolite is a bit more expensive, but im wondering if they just make it sound like a better product to get you to spend more for pretty much the same thing?

Thanks for helping!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
pretty much the same thing... I just use dry sand mostly, but live sand does help clear the water faster and cycle faster :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that's good to know... I was figuring to use LS since im using dry rock with only a small amount of live rock... I also have seen some of the sant at the LFSs around here, it just doesnt look like something I want to put in my tank to seed the sand lol.

I'm almost at the point to start buying these things... Getting close! I ordered my skimmer last night!! WOO!

-Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts