The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, new to the forum and recently setup a 30 gallon cube with a 18gal refug/sump. I've been slowly buying equipment, building other equipment, and have the tank up and running.

The tank is my wife's to run, just mainly helping setup and start up. Levels are fine and stable, filled with 20 lbs Manado, 8lbs of aqua cultured, and 7lbs of Fiji (traded) The fiji was traded for with some SPS corals in bad shape. The bio diversity I figure will help, the mess that its in will be the risk.

The questions

The grey carpet looking SPS appears to be dying or dead, but not sure of what type, so its hard to see if I can get it to come back in. Also the green growth I assume is micro algae, turbo snail take care of that stuff ?

Currently stocked with "Pepe" The scarlet skunk shrimp, who is having OCD moment trying to clean the 2 rocks lol. Considering adding a blue hermit crab and a turbo snail, fish are a week or two out still letting the clean up crew work on the traded rock for a bit, I figure its a good idea

Attachments

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, get some cleaner to clean up the rock.
Yeah trying to figure out what the grey stuff was and if it will grow back.

Clean up crew so far planned is 2x scarlett skunk 1-2 Dwarf Hermit Zebra Crabs
1-2 Turbo snails.

Going to pick up another scarlet skunk shrimp and maybe the hermit tomorrow. First fish will be 2x clowns in a week or more.

Thoughts? Tank will have corals (healthy ones in time) 2 clowns, Royal gramma , Green mandarin way down the road maybe.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure that is a sps, the picture is a little fuzzy, kinda looks like a Xenia to me
Not sure actually Zenia, hmm will have to look into that then. Thanks that gives me a lead to look into :)

Edit :Okay folded up dying and checking it against images, I think your right. Xenia that is just on death's door. Now to research it a bit more and see if I can save it.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems some people prefer turbos others Ceritha ect. Any suggestion on what "team" of them to get for a 30g Reef

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long has this tank been up and running?
Live sand/tiny bit of live rock 10 days, 7 days with cured live rock right now.

levels are good, calcium is getting used pretty quickly which I hope is a good sign :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well I kinda wondered that too, I think the problem with the corals is the tank is so young. Are you monitoring your ammonia/nitrate levels?

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I kinda wondered that too, I think the problem with the corals is the tank is so young. Are you monitoring your ammonia/nitrate levels?
Yeah every thing is just showing trace, Nitrates are climbing slowly now, introduced cheato to the refugium today.

The corals were introduced purely since it was a trade. Actually growing corals is 4-6 months off. These were in essence hithikers, and just giving them the best chance at surviving given the conditions. Clean up crew is being staged in slowly to help clean those 2 rocks up. My wife is adding a tiny bit of marine snow to provide food for those that can take it right now.

This morning the xenia corpses have melted away pretty good. Mushrooms are looking better already (clean up crew helping them) Button polyps are still half closed.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another question is how concerned right now should I be on monitoring iodine. (ignoring the dying corals)

I have 2 blue hermits, Nassisus snail and a Skunk shrimp and live rock

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't go crazy adding stuff like marine show to feed them. The guys you have in there don't need a lot of feeding, so you're adding a lot of pollution to the water that you don't need.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't go crazy adding stuff like marine show to feed them. The guys you have in there don't need a lot of feeding, so you're adding a lot of pollution to the water that you don't need.
Oh its a very very minor dose. Not full dosing, heck not even half dosing. Its mostly to help boost the feather dusters my wife loves, seems to be helping them a ton. tiny bit every 7 days is the plan till things establish a bit better.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
levels are good, calcium is getting used pretty quickly which I hope is a good sign :)
I have a few LPS and SPS and I hardly see any calcium getting used, we may be having PO4 binding to the Ca here. at this age I would not worry too much if that is the case, just means you will have to keep up good husbandry, and this is a fairly new tank, and you may have a pretty good uglies phase, but most tanks go through the uglies, its just the nutrient cycle. :thumbup:

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a few LPS and SPS and I hardly see any calcium getting used, we may be having PO4 binding to the Ca here. at this age I would not worry too much if that is the case, just means you will have to keep up good husbandry, and this is a fairly new tank, and you may have a pretty good uglies phase, but most tanks go through the uglies, its just the nutrient cycle. :thumbup:
Yeah waiting for the inevitable diatom attack :)

Yeah was considering Phosphates being barely measurable. I wondered if it was corresponding to the the Calcium. Calcium at start up was 560 and has backed down now over time. In turn PH dropped down just below 8 today, so something is trying to balance out some. Tho I have not seen any precipitates forming since the first day of start up. My O2 CO2 exchange areas in the tank are plentiful. Alk was up a bit, but buffering it very slowly to adjust it.

Xenia corals look like toast (I just was the priest giving them last rites really)
Button Polyps are perking up now that the tiny hermit has cleaned them up some. (couple of the tube snails making a mess in their area on my to kill list)
mushrooms looking better by the day, and feather dusters growing fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts