The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in the goings on and current status of the Lawsuit filed by Petswarehouse.com against some aquarist that stated their opinion about the business on a Bulletin Board here is the link.

http://216.168.47.67/psw/Default.html

There are some interesting facts about the owner and what is going on with the lawsuit.

Earl

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Thanks for the link! I guess we have to be careful what is said on these forums relating to on-line vendors!!

We have our right to opinions but we have to make sure they are stated correctly I guess!

Everybody wants to sue these days! Oops better watch it!;)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
What a loser... I can't stand people who ride on the coat tails of the decent part of society....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if we e-mail Bill OReily at the No Spin Zone The Oreily Factor on fox about this absurdity if he would investigate and take it on his show to help the aquarists being sued. It would be worth a try he helped those people unjustly imprisoned in Texas.

Earl

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Name and town, name and town, name and town :D

Opine away...

(I like Hannity & Colmes better though...)

Jenn

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Pretty Sad business. The being open to being sued is one of the reasons we have a pretty definative for dealing with vendor complaints, sponsor or not. Most problems occur with miscommunacation when ordering online. Usually calm attempts to correct trhe problem work, if not we can try other things, but attempting to correct problem before badmouthing someone on the internet is a must do.
There are ways to solvethings without risking defamation of charactor, lawsuits , even frivolous are a hassle and expensive

·
Registered
807 Posts
It still seems like some people are trying to make a living (get rich) by sueing others in the midst of bankruptcy. Comments?????? Did I read that right 15 Million dollars????????

·
5,916 Posts
Well, Novak started the law suits flying because somebody said something unpleasant on an email list, regarding the service/merchandise they received from Novak's company, Petswarehouse. I have lost track of all the suits/countersuits, but some "suits" are getting rich from it all. The whole thing is sad, no matter whose perspective you view it from.

Jenn

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last I checked this was still a free country to express your opinion and express dissatisfaction with a service or goods that you purchase. If you are truthful in letting others know of your experience to inform others who may end up with the same experience how is that defamation.

If you start slandering a company or product with a malicious intent to sabotage or damaging its crediblity to hurt someone or gain from it is one thing but to express your feelings and your experience whether it is good or bad and be sued for it is ridiculous. Just my .02 cents worth.

Earl

·
5,916 Posts
But what it became was no longer about freedom of speech, but who had the most money to pay lawyers. Most agreed that the suit(s) was (were) frivolous, but early on, anyway, several of the defendants settled out of court because the cost of defending themselves was prohibitive.

It becomes a money game, not one about constitutional rights and freedoms.

There was nothing free - it all cost too much. Apparently if Mr. Novak is bankrupt, he paid a high price too.

It's tragic all around, IMO.

Jenn

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
When this board started off as a few of us answering questions on a little web based hobby board we really had no idea how complicated it can get. We started a litle before anothre popular board that has had Mega growth and some serious problems with growing pains. We kinda had to wing it as we went along, but early on we had to evolve a way to try and resolve bad vendor experiences so that all sides get a fair chance to resolve and limit the boards liability
Its not an easy job balancing reasonable right to expression against all the potential pitfalls we face.
Once again I wish to thank the members who for the most part are self regulating and don't require a lot of refereeing from the mods and admins here

·
Registered
658 Posts
You better watch out... Novak's trademarked name is in the title of this thread, and if you didn't get express permission to use it you probably just opened yourself up to a lawsuit... :D

That guy is too much... I can't believe that not only did the people settle early on in the case... part of the settlement was that they had to display 'banner advertising' for Pet$Whearehouse (<--don't wanna get sued :D ).
Talk about adding insult to injury... I thought we had laws against 'cruel and unusual punishment'. :p

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Well for the really pesky problems I have friends of the x military persuasion ;)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
and former military persuasion.... ;) since the ones considered ex-Marines are the ones who have disgraced themselves and their country.... The good ones are still considered Marines... so we call ourselves former Marines to signify that we're not active duty or active reserve... We're just awaiting our orders to protect the pearly gates...

"If the Army and the Navy
ever look on heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
by United States Marines." - Marine Corps Hymn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts