The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I have made up my mind. I am going to resurrect the 58G tank. I tried to sell it and I heard every story in the book why people cant buy it after they agreed to. It has to be a sign. Plus I have most of everything so it wont cost nearly as much as a larger new tank.

SO!

Here is what I got and let help me build/change anything.

58G Oceanic Reef Ready
20G lass tank sump
Custom canopy with 2 Ice cap 3 in fans
250W PFO HQI ballast powering a Lumenarc DE Pendant
Icecap 660 powering 2 VHO's - actinics
Tunze Stream 6000 w/ controller (Will probably sell and get nano streams)
Mag12 return pump (throttle it or get a mag 7)
Euroreef ES5-3
Maxijet 1200's
Won titanium heater
Ranco dual stage temp controller
Precision Marine Kalk reactor
LitreMeter III for top off and Kalk reactor feed
Normal electric timers

I still have the starboard cutout from when the tank was built. What can I do with that? I dont like the BB look.

45lbs LR OK? Reefermadness or better place?

Build it in pillars? its only a 3ft tank so that can be tough

What types of corals should I go with. I dont want a brown and green only tank so that probably means SPS but the tank needs to be automated as in the summer I am not home on weekends and when I take trips.

What fish should I look into?

Give me ideas on what to do.

I will hookup the RO/DI this weekend and get that functioning. I need to buy a new membrane though since this one dried out and ita a year old. Should I go with a High-Silicate one again? I moved so I dont know if silicates will be a problem. I also have a house water softener - any concerns?

I will bring the tank into the house this weekend as well and start setting it up as far as plumbing and etc with NO water yet.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will 2 Tunze Nano Streams be enough? Where should they be placed?

What MH bulb?

45lbs of LR enough?

Aquascaping ideas for a small tank?

I have the Oceans Motions Squirt but I dont think I will use it since the return flow wont be much.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
I'm a big fan of less rock and the 'garden' look. I think you'll be fine with that amount of rock.

That's a fairly narrow tank front to back, right? you could try building a wall on one corner ( like the back left ) and have more open space everywhere else.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is over before it began. Someone is coming over to pick up the tank today or tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts