The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the differance between Artesian spring water and RO water? Are there still harmfull chemicals in spring water or is that ok to use?

Thanks, Paul

·
Administrator
47,624 Posts
Ground water, whether artesian or whatever is always got minerlas and stuff, depending on the water table and surrounding area you might be subject to contamination from ag runoff, dissloved minerals, etc
Ro/DI removes the vast majority of these allowing you to control the water chemistry within the limits of the synthetic salt and additives you use.
mineral or other contamination at accepted safe drinking water levels is not neccessarily safe for reef inverts.
investing the money in a reef tank, even a small one and skimping on water quality usually leads to disaster at worst and nasty algae blooms at best. Whats another $100 or so for a decent water system in the scheme of total reef cost?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK..... it is not that I am debating getting a RO system.... (matter of my wife not getting POed with more stuff laying around) I know it is inevitable but I thought I would ask and I guess I already knew my awnser but wated to make sure

·
Registered
645 Posts
If there was an emergency and I ran out of water...would using distilled water be the best alternative? I haven't had this come up but it's good to know just in case. I agree about the spring water, really no different than Rocky Mountain creek water IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think I'd use distilled water. A lot of the commercially distilled water is processed using copper tubing. This can cause the copper levels in the water to be higher than what a reef tank will tolerate. It may end up killing your corals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts