The Reef Tank banner

Do you add an additive to your RO TOP OFF water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering this for a very long time. and really dont know the correct answer or if it is even ok to do. But i was wondering do any of you add an additive like osmo prep to your RO/DI top off water? I am talking about just the water that you top off your tank with.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I votes Yes because I add Kalkwasser.

However, to answer you question. If your just wanting to replace evaporation water then no, RO/DI is all you need.

If your wanting/attempting to replenish your CA or ALK levels then yes you can add 1 of them to your top off water but not both. Osmo-prep shouldn't be needed but isn't really going to hurt anything if you do but not really going to help anything either as not really any quantities in it to maintain or elevate your CA or ALK levels.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i make up a 32 gal bucket of topoff and let it sit till the PH is around 8.4 but PH likes to move a bit so depending on the type of day its 8.2-8.4

·
Registered
544 Posts
rihanssu said:
i make up a 32 gal bucket of topoff and let it sit till the PH is around 8.4
did you pitch the drops and get a meter yet ?? :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
JS_racer said:
did you pitch the drops and get a meter yet ?? :)
not yet, i tore down the tank and am working on the new one, i'm either gonna get a neptune controller or a reef keeper Jr

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Strictly kalk similar to David. Just mix up 16 gallons of water and kalk slurry and dose throughout the week, lasts about 4-5 days and helps keep the tank ph from swinging to much.

·
Registered
657 Posts
never added anything to the top off because water eveporates not the minerals and such in it. Besides I do weekly water changes, So I'm not to worried about things getting depleated

jd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts