The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally convinced my wife that we need an RO unit, not for the reef tank, but for better tasting water. My question is, are the models that come from Lowes or Home Depot just as good as the models from Kent or similar companies? I checked out my local Lowes and the models they had did not mention the removal of phosphate, nitrates, etc. I was thinking that maybe they aren't listed because they are not important to the average consumer. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use a kenmore RO and have tested the water after it comes out and can not detect any impurities although I know their are some below my testing ability. RO is RO. There are units for removing more silicates. Just get the best in your budget and don't really worry where it comes from. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this unit at Sam's Club. It comes with a TDS monitor. Seems like a good deal. What do you guys think? RO Unit

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get your lawn chair out if you get a RO/DI unit. You can actually watch grass grown while waiting for the RO/DI water. :D

-Paul

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think the only difference is the sediment cartrige. The RO units for Salt water tanks come with 1 micron sediment cartrige while the drinking water systems come with up to 5 micron cartridges. The drinking systems usually come with a bladder storage tank (3-5 gal). I would say go for it. If you detect any trouble down the road, you could purchase a DI add-on for ~30 bucks. The DI unit will definitively aid in removing nuisance chemicals from the water. The RO unit alone is still a firm start.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using AP Tap Water Purifier for the past couple of years but I guess my tap water is pretty bad because I have to replace the cartridge about every 3-4 months. I test the water coming out of the purifier every so often and as soon as I detect phosphate I replace it. I'm hoping the RO unit will go longer without having to replace cartridges.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My tap water has that floride in it now....plus if you taste the 2 waters, theres a huge differance.

-Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts