The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
clown fish
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have and corallife Pure-Flo2 3 Canister System and it says 50 gallons per day and so about 2 somthing gallons per hour. but my ro system makes like 3.5 gallons per hour. im worrried because in the manual it say make shure that the membrane is properly seated or you will produce more water than said.but it says an average of 50 gallons per day so i dont know if im becoming crazy worring about my little friends:fish:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You should never ever own a RO or RO/DI system without having and using a TDS meter on a regular basis. It is the ONLY way you have of knowing if it is working or not, period.

How long have you had the unit? How many times have you changed the prefilter and carbon block? Did you disinfect the system each time you changed the filters? What is your water pressure and water temperature? Have you ever, and tell the truth here, ran warm or hot water through the RO membrane? What is your waste ratio as in exactly how much water is sent to waste versus treated water?

All these things have a big bearing on how fast it makes water and what the condition of that water is.

The Coralife units are pretty low end to begin with but should produce 50 GPD at 65 psi and 77 degrees F temp. I seriously doubt if you have either as its not very common in many places. If I had to guess I'd say your membrane is shot but it will take a TDS meter to know, It will not be money wasted I guarantee you, it should be used every time you make a batch of water otherwise you haven't a clue if its good or bad.

A good meter is just about $20, the HM Digital TDS-3 is one example. It is tempertaure compensated, is 2% +/- accurate, reads in single parts per million and has a temperature read out too so serves a dual purpose.

·
clown fish
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i made a total of about 70 gallons in the past month ive had it.so far my psi is at like 62. i havent chang any of the filters yet the temp i think in the 70es it like netural,no i havent ran warm water through the membrane. and for the waste to good water ratio i dont know because i have the red line plug up to the waste but i can hear it go down the drain so id say 1 to 3. the good water comming out of the filter is a slown small stream just a little bit faster than a drip. but it sas about so aroud 50 gallons per day and im kinda close to that im not making 5 gallons per hour

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You need to know exactly how much you are wasting, too little and you fould the membrane since it is the waste ratio at 4:1 that keeps the membrane flushed. Use a measuring cup and a watch and time and measure the quantity of both the good and waste for exactly one minute, no estimates.Anything less than 3:1 and preferably 4:1 is not sufficient to keep the membrane in working condition for long. Once TDS begins to solidify around the membrane there is no reversing it short of commercial or industrial type chemical treatments which is not used in homeowner type systems.

Unfortunately LFS need to stick to selling pets and stay out of the water business since they don't have a clue what they are talking about. This is common all over. If they knew what they were doing they would not be selling the Coralife units as they are what I consider ebay quality systems and nothing more.

As with the waste ratio, you really need to know exactly what your pressure and temperature are, guessing will only get you in trouble.
Even here in Phoenix in the summer I have a water temp as low as 58 degrees so 81 is pretty warm depending on your source.

Take a look at the calculator at the top of the page her and you can see how pressure and temperature affect GPD.
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

Pick up a handheld TDS meter and you can troubleshoot the system yourself in just a few minutes.

·
clown fish
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the fish store is the biggest in houston and has locations in dallas too.so i trust there opinion and i trust yours and i will get a tds meter to make shure its all running smoothly which i hope it is thanks:fish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts