The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently running a Coralife pure Flo 3 stage RO system http://www.aquacon.com/CoralifePureFlo76001ROSystem.html
And have been planning of ordering the DI add on
http://www.aquacon.com/CoralifePureFloDeionizationAddOnSystem.html
Does the DI make that much of a difference in the tank? I am running a mix fish and soft coral tank.
<O:p</O:p
My filters are coming up on needing changing soon and I have no idea when the membrane was changed last since I am not the original owner so when I add it all up and add the DI it comes out cheaper to order a new 4 stage system.
http://www.aquacon.com/CoralifePureFlo76002ROSystem.html
<O:p</O:p
IS this a decent RODI system or should I look at something else?:boo::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
What you have is fine and yes, I would add the DI to it. That will guarantee 99% pure water (I don't believe you ever get 100%).

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
RO/DI will be a better way to go as the 'cleaner' the water you can put in, the less you have to worry about exporting unwanted nutrients. As for price, it isn't a bad deal, but there may be others familiar with better products at a good price. I've seen a few mentioned in other threads in the past, but can't locate them at this time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It really depends on what your TDS is weather you need a DI...some areas the source water has low TDS, so your output with just an RO filter could be very low. I once lived where the TDS of the source water was ~120ppm most of the time...I ran without a DI for many years as the TDS from just RO was never more than 001-003ppm. Where I live now the source water is always over 300ppm so I feel the DI is warranted as the RO will only bring it down to 010-012ppm at best, and is often even higher.

No doubt the Spectrapure is a better unit than what you have now. You'll have to decide weather or not buying a new unit is warranted or not. RO membranes can last a long time if looked after and pre-filters are changed regularly. You really need to know the TDS of your source water and the TDS of your RO water to know if the membrane needs to be replaced. If you divide the RO TDS by the source TDS, then subtract that number from 100, it will tell your how good your membrane is...ideally, depending on the type of membrane, the rejection rate should be between 95% and 98%. If the membrane is good and the output TDS is low enough you may be able to get away with just replacing the pre-filters.

BTW...I would not order replacement filters from the place you linked to or buy the Coralife "brand" filters. There are better/cheaper places to get better quality filters.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will see if my LFS will check my TDS for me pre and post filter if not I will order a meter before doing anything

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can get an inexpensive hand held TDS meter if you want. If your LFS or someone else around you has TDS meter thay can certainly check it for you (although you'll want some type of TDS meter of your own long term I think). When you check TDS you want to use a very clean glass container...you probably could use plastic, but plastic gives you more risk of skewed results IMO...any contaminants from the container you use can/will give you skewed results.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may just pick one up. Do you sugest the in line one that will show you your in and out of the filter? I was looking at th HM dual in line TDS meter or just a portable one?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Unless you need the portability I would go with an inline. Much easier to just push a button any time you want and get an almost instant reading.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Inline meters have drawbacks, a good handheld is always the better way to go. Inlines are not truly temperature compensated so can be off as much as 2% for every degree C your water and air temperatures differ. They cannot be used portable so are dedicated to two places which is not enough to test a RO DI system since you need a minimum of three readings, tap water, RO only water and RO/DI water to know how the system is performing.

You can pick up a good handheld for $20-$30 at places like Spectrapure and www.buckeyefieldsupply.com and you will be much happier with it since it can be used portable and is accurate. What of you want to test your ATO container, the LFS, bottled water, your buddies water etc?

Coralife systems are extremely low quality and receive tons of well deserved complaints. The cost is high and the performance is low compared to companies that specialize in RO/DI as their main source of income and not a second line.
Look at the refurbished RO/DI system from Spectrapure for $120, they don't come any better or from a more trusted source. You might also look at the 75 GPD premium from Buckeye, it comes with a handheld TDS meter standard and is ready to go.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Inlines are not truly temperature compensated so can be off as much as 2% for every degree C your water and air temperatures differ.
Are you sure it's 2%?

I thought ultrapure water (RODI) was 5.2%/<sup>o</sup>C and salt based solutions was 2%/<sup>o</sup>C

And this is calculated based on a standard of 25
<sup>o</sup>C correct? Meaning that the degree of error is based on a difference of the temperature of what the test liquid is and a standard of 25<sup>o</sup>C...

Correct me if I am wrong....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got a in-line pre and post TDS metter and now since I have herd bad things about the RO I have and the results I got I have a new RODI system on order.
Pre 260 ppm post 82 ppm

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Not very good at all. Even with a Coralife I would expect the post RO TDS to be less than 10, with a better unit like the Spectrapure the post RO TDS should be about 2 to 3 with 260 coming in.

Sure wish you would have bought a handheld TDS meter rather than the inline but its too late for that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My "Filter guys" 5 stage has a post RO of 1 and 0 after DI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts