The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ro-man RO filter Any good ?

Hi all,
i have a question ... is this a good ro filter ??
i was given it about 2 years ago and its been in my shed for a while ...
question is ... is it worth getting new filters and membrane for it or is it just fit for the bin ??

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If it has been sitting for two years in a shed you need a new RO membrane and matched flow restrictor in addition to the sedimen tand carbon filters. Even then it is RO only so would require converting the second unneeded carbon canister into a vertical refillable DI filter or adding an add on DI kit. Add it all up and you will have as much as or more than a brand new reef quality RO/DI would cost you.

Rarely do I recommend buying a used system or fixing one up someone has given you, almost always you inherited someone elses problems.

A good membrane and flow restrictor will cost you $40-$50, 0.5 micron sediment filter and 0.5 micron carbon block another $25, if you really want to go back with two carbons and additional $10-$13, or a filled 20 oz refillable DI cartridge and the fittings to convert the empty canister to a DI would be about $25-$30 or an add on DI is around $45. I would also get an inline pressure gauge, another $15 or so.

This all adds up to $100 to $150 and you still have a used system. For $140 you can buy a brand new reef quality RO/DI which incudes the pressure gauge and full size refillable DI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts