The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a Ro filtration system but i have one question do i need just the RO system or the complete RO/DI system i want to use it for my reef tank but i cant use my current water because of high ammonia in the tap water

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
RO/DI will get your TDS down to 0 where RO only will usually get it down to 15-5. Obviously the addition of DI is better. I have used RO only for a time with little effect but with the cost difference between the 2, why not get the DI. You want as little TDS in you tank anyway.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You cannot possibly guess at what the RO TDS would be without knowing what the tap water TDS is first, throwing a number out like 5-15 is nonsense.

Yes, you need RO/DI, RO by itself is not good at all forms of ammonia including nitrates and nitrites too. Its a good DI filter that will remove the ammonia after it has passed thru RO. Its $10 more for a high quality RO/DI over a RO only so its cheap.
Notice here, the CSP is RO only at $135 and the CSPDI is RO/DI and only $145 complete with everything you need.
http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-appreciation.html

Do not even consider a ebay quality RO/DI as most use small low performing horizontal DI and you will still have ammonia present after treatment.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You definitely need the RO/DI.
I suspect you are either on an older domestic well influenced by a near by septic system or your utility uses chloramines both of which are good reasons to invest in a RO/DI for drinking and cooking as well as the tanks.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya thats what i figured its just getting real crazy have to go to my lfs every week or so for water

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
You cannot possibly guess at what the RO TDS would be without knowing what the tap water TDS is first, throwing a number out like 5-15 is nonsense.

Yes, you need RO/DI, RO by itself is not good at all forms of ammonia including nitrates and nitrites too. Its a good DI filter that will remove the ammonia after it has passed thru RO. Its $10 more for a high quality RO/DI over a RO only so its cheap.
Notice here, the CSP is RO only at $135 and the CSPDI is RO/DI and only $145 complete with everything you need.
http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-appreciation.html

Do not even consider a ebay quality RO/DI as most use small low performing horizontal DI and you will still have ammonia present after treatment.
Just "throwing out" an average and trying to make a point. Never heard of anyone getting 0 TDS from RO and never heard of anyone getting to much higher than that with RO either. Obviously exceptions. Your info is appreciated though.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You can say an RO unit will remove 90 to 98% of the incoming tap water TDS, whatever that number is.If its 100 then they can expect a RO only TDS of say between 2 and 10, if its 650 like mine is then they could expect a RO only TDS of between 14 and 65. If they are a round the national average of 250 or so they could expect to see between 5 and 25, see what I mean? You cant really put a number to it without knowing the starting point.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
You can say an RO unit will remove 90 to 98% of the incoming tap water TDS, whatever that number is.If its 100 then they can expect a RO only TDS of say between 2 and 10, if its 650 like mine is then they could expect a RO only TDS of between 14 and 65. If they are a round the national average of 250 or so they could expect to see between 5 and 25, see what I mean? You cant really put a number to it without knowing the starting point.
I understand what you are saying. So, knowing that, when a manufacturer of an RO unit or RO/DI unit says that you will get XX TDS or 0 TDS, then that is misleading. Can you expect a RO/DI unit to get 0 TDS no matter what the tap water is?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Most RO/DI units should produce 0 TDS water, at least for a little while. The difference between a poor unit and a good unit is for how long it will do this. Buying a ebay quality RO/DI may be cheap initially but almost always ends up costing much more over time in DI and membrane replacements. It kind of a pay me now or pay me later scenario. I prefer to spend a little more on better tools and have them last a long time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All natural filtration

I want to make as natural filtration system as posibble. i'am planning to make deep sand bed(DSB),what kind of subsrated should i use?as well where can i get chaeto algae?
i also want to add mangrove for extra..i appriciated any respond and idea...

·
Just Cofused :>0
944 Posts
How about an ro/di with a booster pump.I cant seem to find already assembled.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Most all of the better RO/DI vendors build their units to order so any of them can install a booster pump for you. I know Spectrapure, Buckeye Field Supply and PurelyH2o can and probably Bulk Reef Supply too.
If not its very easy to plumb in a booster pump and pressure switch, takes about 10 minutes even if you are new to it.

·
Just Cofused :>0
944 Posts
Thanks ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts