The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall I'm back!
My tank totally crashed when I got my VHO's and MH's running. My diatoms bloomed out like crazy and then all my coral died. I'm pretty sure it is all due to the fact that I have WAYYYYY too much silicates in my water. And once I turned on the lights they just went to town and so on. ANYWAY, I want to know what RO/DI unit most everyone uses and your opinions on them. Especially what stage unit I need. Since I have terribly hard water I know I'll need something that can really clean it up. Thanks you guys. I missed yall!:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
you would be looking for any Culligan, Ametech, or US Filter RO filter... Min of a 3 stage but the more stages you have the safer your water is. FYI the same company makes ALL of these filters

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I bought my 4 stage RO/DI unit from Premium Aquatics. It was the oceanus 4 stage. I love it! I have an adapter for my shower head. So, when I need it, I take off the shower head, plug in the ro/di unit, and voila. That is what I suggest.

·
Registered
658 Posts
^^^ I'm with Prismaco... :D

I have a 5-stage RO/DI that I scored on ebay that included the reservoir tank and the sink spigot. I also plumbed it so that the RO goes to the spigot, and I can get RO/DI from a valve under the sink.
Works great... and coffee tastes awesome now too :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
I bought a 3 stage Oceanus from ARS and then purchased the DI add on (i did it this way for budget limitations). I think a 4 stage should do for starters. I suggest you get a good TDS meter too (they're no too expensive) and it'll help you know if your unit is doing a good job.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I use the excess water for drinking water...it tastes way better then my regular tap water... :D should I be doing that ? Or is that water not good to drink ?

-Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an AquaFX Dolphin 3 stage 50 gpd system. It was very easy to set up and seems to work great. Premium Aquatics stocks these units. The place that I ordered mine from also threw in a free TDS meter. I can't remember the name of the place but I'll do some checking and post it later if you're interested. I think the system cost about $150 with shipping.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have you checked into the flow restrictors that go on the waste water connection? This little item is about 3 inches long, and oh..about the size of a penny in diam. This flow restrictor can be added to any unit and it will send more of the water thru the r/o unit, rather than having 3 gallons waste water, and 1 gallon good water. this will change to approximately 2 waste and 2 good. It's not much, but in the long run could save you some bucks. I think they cost like 5 bucks.

Also, the Dow R/O units 4 stage 75 gallon per day units cost about $140.00, and it comes with the flow restrictors already installed. Check with the sponsors of this board, i know one of them sells these units.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Prismaco,
You should be fine drinking the 'excess' water... that's what the majority of 'sane' people do... :D
It's only nut jobs like us that buy something like this specifically for their fish tank. :D

If you're running RO/DI the water might be a little bitter since everything has been removed from it, while RO water should taste better because there's still some mineral content left.

HTH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.