The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a RO/DI unit with (1) sediment filter, (2) carbon filters, (1) 100 gpd membrane, & (1) DI unit. I have seen ads for water additives that should be added to RO/DI water before it can be added to the fish tank. The product was called Electro-right. The ad reads:

"Electro-right adds the right balance of electrolytes and trace elements to deionized water. Makes 480 gallons for soft water discus aquariums or 240 gallons for freshwater community aquariums.

Directions: Freshwater community aquaria: first add 4 tsp of Electro-Right then add 2 tsp per each 20 gallons of deionized water. For water changes add 2 ml (40) drops of Electro-Right and 1 ML (20) drops of PH adjuster. Discus: for a Ph of 5.8 conductivity of 90, and a GH of 30 use 2 tsp of electro right for each 10 gallons of deionized water. To increase the PH by 0.2 unites add 1ML (20) drops of PH adjuster for every 10 gallons of water."

Is this really necessary? I plan to use the RO/DI unit on both freshwater and saltwater fish tanks.

TIA - Bryan

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
Bryan Welcome to TRT :D
As far as the Electro Right stuff , I am thinking its either the same or similar to the electrlyte balancer stuff that comes with the Aquarium Pharmacuticals Tap Water Purifier. Follow the directions if you are prepping top off water or planning on a water change on a fresh water tank, like for a Discus or Amazonian soft water tank.
You don't need to use it on RO/DI water that will be used for making salt water or top off. The salt mix will take care of all that.
Again Welcome :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.