The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a RO/DI unit<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When using RO/DI water, dose the RO unit remove PH or dose it stay in the ro water?<o:p></o:p>
Also what types of additives will I need to add ? <o:p></o:p>
I use IO salt<o:p></o:p>
155 bow with 100 galloon sump. corals <o:p></o:p>
180 fish with live rock ?<o:p></o:p>
P.S. <o:p></o:p>
Bought <o:p></o:p>
A powder blue 6-8 inches<o:p></o:p>
Bird wrasse 6 inch<o:p></o:p>
Sally trigger 5 inch<o:p></o:p>
Coral beauty 4 inch <o:p></o:p>
4 $100.00

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
pH isn't really an object to be removed...but instead, a value that's determined by what's in the water.

pH is a measure of acidity or baseness, which is a result of what's in the water.

So with MOST RO/DI units...which remove over 90% of the things in the water, you usually end up with RO/DI water that is really neutral. Which means it's pH will be close to 7.

Salt mixes usually compensate for htis, and when you mix, if you allow 24 hours for the SW to age, the pH usually falls right around 8.2.

With just the water, it's usually used to make up for evaporation (top-off), so it's mostly added in small doses which makes the pH difference a non-issue.

HTH's

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Very good answer!

The salt mix will add all the things you need and adjust the pH - - Skeety's information about letting it age a day or so is very important. Let the mix/RO age and put a powerhead in the bucket so it can be aerated and mix at the same time.

HHC

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ro/di

as far as top off, it is all right for the ro unit to directly in to my sump?

the top off will be regulated via a float shut off switch?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
That's the way I do it. I have a bucket set up beside the tank tubing that runs down into the sump and drips about 1 drop per second.

Sump's actually the best place. Gives the RO time to mix a little before returning back to the display.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With my RO/DI unit and tank I have to add ph buffer to maintain a ph of around 8.3. I add it to the ro/di water about 2 hrs before I add it to the tank to make sure that it has stabilized.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
2003mikem said:
as far i as i could tell the units r all hte same. the only thing is the refill cartridges.
Yes and no....The units will perform the same as far as cleaning your water but IMO the higher priced units like Spectra Pure and Kent will last longer from more wear and tear. That is one reason i got the Spectra Pure unit.

Refill cartridges are the same in almost all units.

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts