The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase an RO/DI unit, any recommendations on what is good and where to go? I live in an apt. So, I need one I can easily hook up and unhook as needed. I don't know if that matters or not, but thought I would throw that out there. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
jeremy this place has some great prices on ro and ro/di units. as well as the tds meters.

i belive grazhopr has one from ehre, and a few others as well.

they have kitchen sink adapters so you dont have to plumb it since its an apartment

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a tds meter?

·
Registered
658 Posts
TDS = total dissolved solids.
It basically tells you the amount of minerals dissolved in the water.
A lower TDS reading is better than a high one for a reef tank.
It won't tell you what kind of minerals are in the water... it just tells you how 'pure' the water is.
HTH

·
Registered
565 Posts
Jeremy,

I would recommend http://airwaterice.com .

Air Water Ice. They have the Typhoon I Reefkeeper RO/DI for $159.00 and it will do 100 Gallons per day. I have had mine for six months and I love it and you can't beat the price. Check them out you won't be sorry.

Earl

·
Registered
986 Posts
Reefer Addict said:
TDS = total dissolved solids.
It basically tells you the amount of minerals dissolved in the water.
A lower TDS reading is better than a high one for a reef tank.
It won't tell you what kind of minerals are in the water... it just tells you how 'pure' the water is.
HTH
In addition to Reefer's comment: A TDS meter will help you monitor the performance of the membrane in the filter. There's a theoretical lifespan for a membrane, and it will change according to the quality of the water source. The meter is a better approach to tell when to change the membrane.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I got mine from ARS, and I think they have very good prices.
If you want to compare prices, make sure they all come with the same gadgets: pressure gauge, flush kit, etc. and they're rated for the same production rate: 25, 60, 100 gpd.

:beer:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all...I will start to do some more research. Would like to get one so I don't pester the Smith's anymore for water. heh heh ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts