The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tech Support
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice where to find a good deal on an RO/DI unit for my house?
I am tired of going to the grocery store for water. I want to be able to use it for my in-duct humidifier (misting type), my tap next to my sink, and (duh) my tank. My tank is 125 w/100G stock tank. I'm running at LEAST 200 gallons total water volume. I usually change about 30-40 gallons about once a month or so, and usually get water twice every week and a half.
A friend from my club recommended a 150 GPD unit.
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got mine from The Filter Guys. I would definitely recommend them. They were extremely helpful helping me decide what I needed (and what I did not need) and were great with answering the several questions that I had once I got it.

·
Tech Support
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I buy a certain brand unit, do I have to buy filters that fit that unit, or do all filters fit all units? How long do they last?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts

·
Tech Support
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ordered the one from Melev's page. Should I buy a 5 micron carbon filter? It comes with 2 10 micron carbon filters, after the 10 micron sediment filter. I could buy 2 5 micron carbon filters and have a prefilter change all ready.

·
Tech Support
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why replace a perfectly good filter right off the bat? Why not wait until a fitler change is necessary in 6 months and then go to a 5 micron filter?
Thought a 5 & 10 micron would send better quality water to the membrane than 2 10's. Might make the membrane last longer, not having to filter the 5 micron stuff out. Costs less than a new membrane. I would change the second 10 micron for a 5. Then the 2nd 5 and 10 I took out could be the 6 month change filters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts