The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I really need to buy an RO/DI unit, but it's confusing, as always, with some many on the market. After reading through some threads, and researching a bit, I can see that the Spectrepure units are great for the money, but I can't get them in Australia. :rolleyes:

It seems that they aren't shipped over seas from the site that sells them...

So, would anyone be able to suggest another unit, or brand that's either available in Australia, or is on a site which ships over seas... For a reasonable cost haha. Basically, under $200 would be great, but under $250 could be reasoned. Is that unreasonable? Should I be looking at spending more. Oh, and to add to the list of requirements, one that's easy to install would be fantastic. And I think my tank is about 200gallons... :thumbup:

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That's too bad about the spectrapure unit. They are nice. Have you contacted them directly? They may work something out for you if you call and explain the situation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't spoken to them, no. Where are they based exactly? I know international shipping is expensive and that, being where I live, it often takes weeks and weeks, but they do look like nice units, so even adding expected shipping cost, they may be worth it. Also, the units are quite large, a few international sites don't ship them to Australia because they're too large, when they commonly ship smaller items.

If I can't find anything else similar, I'll email them and see what they say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for finding that for me :) Uh, yeah... Not quite looking at spending that much, haha =l A couple of the Spectrapure units on ebay, have shipping for around $100. I've checked all the usual sites I use, and mostly the units are ridiculously expensive.. $350 - $500 for the ROWA units one shop sells exclusively, and $700 for Kent units, and even more for others.. I'm not able to spend that much.

I did find these on a site I've used before:
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=36

But the sediment filters in it are 1 micron, from what I read that you have said, the .5 microns filters are best?

I admit, I don't usually search forums and such for things for sale - could prove to be worth while, though I generally wouldn't know where to start or how to go about it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
1 micron filters are pretty good, much better than 5 or 10 microns and can always be replaced with something better at the 6 month mark.

I would be most concerned about the RO membrane (75 GPD Dow Filmtec is the industry standard with the 100 GPD GE Water a close second. Do not consider a 100 GPD Dow Filmtec as it is only 90% efficient.)
Second make sure it has a full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI filter, not a small, or multiple small horizontal DI filters, either refillable or throw away style.

After that, look for name brand housings and john guest style speed fittings over the old style compression type fittings. A pressure gauge is almost a necessity and a handheld TDS meter is a must, inlines are OK as rough guides but not as accurate and cannot be used portable to test things like your ATO, stored water, tap water etc.

Filter cartridges are easy to upgrade but some of the other components add up quickly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a heap! It must get frustrating explaining the same thing over and over to new people - Sorry about that.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting a TDS meter.

Ok, so around 58GPD is alright, and the 1 micron filter is reasonable. The site I'm considering is so vague. It says "Food Grade DI resin cartridge (refillable)." So, it's... what exactly? It doesn't give me the size of it exactly. It does say "genuine TFC membrane" and that it's specifically for aquariums, but talk is cheap, right? Expecially on the internet on a site with barely any info. Uh, sorry for being completely incompetent on this subject. =/

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If the vendor does not give you the brand or model then you might want to pass. No secrets, no surprises.

There are dozens of membrane companies, many use Dow Filmtec materials and wind their own, but many are cheap clones or imports and not worth spit. If the vendor is not proud enough to tell you what it is, you can just about bet its an imposter.

As far as DI, there are only a few major resin manufacturers again. Purolite is one, Dow is another plus a couple others. Companies like Spectrapure buy from many manufacturers then blend their resins in house based on their own testing and experiences so you get on the freshest and best resin. Most others repackage ready made stuff and you have no idea its age or quality.

It comes down to knowledge, ask the vendors what the yare selling you and sound informed. Don't let someone tell you "7 stages" when you know 4 good stages will blow 7 crappy stages out of the water. Or that little horozontal DI filters are the best when you know that a 10" vertical DI fills from the bottom and does not channle or short circuit like horizontals no matter how many you string together. Or that a 100 GPD Dow membrane is good when you know its only 90% efficient versus a 75 GPD which is 96-98% efficient and will make your DI resin last 6-8 times longer or more saving you money in the process.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link - I checked it out and it looks like they don't ship outside of the US. Oe site I checked had $300 shipping haha. I've found something which I think is suitable, but compared to other units I've seen on American sites and such, it feels over priced.

Ok, thanks :) In the fine, fine print it said it was a Stingray product - Which I think is the same as Jebo? Either way, I'm steering clear of the nameless stuff.

I think I've found something that ticks all the boxes :) Haha. It's 50GPD, Dow Filmtec membrane, 1 micron polyspun sediment filter, Omnipure is the name of the DI cartridge (which it says is a mixed resin), it has John Guest tubing and Jaco tube fittings. The cartridges are 9 3/4" if I'm reading it right. Plus it comes with a handheld TDS meter.

http://www.psifilters.com.au/di-reef-systems/81-psi-019b-di-4-stage-reverse-osmosis-unit.html

What're your thoughts on it? Thanks for all the info, as well, it's help a bunch in terms of what to looks for in a unit :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Try contacting that vendor directly and see if they offer or will assemble you a system as follows:

1. 1.0 or 0.5 micron sediment filter in a clear housing
2. 1.0, 0.6 or 0.5 micron KX+1 carbon block in a clear housing
3. 75 GPD (or 50 GPD) Dow Filmtec 1812 series RO membrane
4. a full size 10" clear vertical canister with a 20 oz refillable DI cartridge installed

also have them throw in an inline pressure gauge and a handheld TDS meter and provide a capillary tube flow restrictor.

It looks like they carry a lot of components but may not be up on RO/DI and reefkeeping. This might start a new business for them if you can find others with your same needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts