The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage plus RO/DI arrived today! Yayyy. Anyway, the most convenient place for me to set it up would be in my porch. The porch used to be outdoors, so there is a hose spigot in the room. No one has turned it on in years. I opened it up today and for the first few seconds it spewed black water. I have cleaned the nozzle with acetone and run it for 5 minutes to clean out any remaining gunk. My question is: is this spigot safe to use with my ro/di? I don't want to wear out the filters quicker than necessary.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
i would run it at least another 20 min before i used it
if it black i would thing that's from deteriorated seals and will probably leak now
....those spickets really aren't that hard to replace assuming its screwed on and not soldered ...just be carefule not to twist off the pipe off ...i did that once i was happy if finally i broke it loose then when i got it out it was a piece of corkscrew copped pipe ...then you need to call the plumber

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran it for a while longer and hooked everything up. It does not leak, and if it did I would have to find a new place to hook up, because this spigot is basically painted and sealed into the wall. No way to remove it without taking chunks out of the finish.

Either way, the TDS meter is reading 14ppm prior to DI and 0ppm after DI, so it seems alright. Do those numbers sound good to you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.